BASS BARN banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Figured I share. We have argued this one up North for a while.

Passes on to me from a Indian River Flats Guide

Here we go:

Rising Barometer = Fishing is best !!!

Rapidly Fluctuating = Good fishing

Static Barometer = Poor fishing

Falling Barometer = Good for the FIRST part of the fall, then tails off as barometer bottoms out

Very Low Barometer = Worst fishing

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've always thought that the lower the barometric reading the better the fishing is. Something about the latteral line and the pressure put on it.

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
I fully agree with that assessment. It does have an effect but as you know can be different as other factors are often more influential.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
It doesn't seem to matter as much in the salt as it does in the sweet stuff.

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And then again maybe it does.

A good way to check is just go to the tape.

Follow reports (Adam Bomb Stalker ) and check what the pressure was doing.

Check the pressure over the last couple of days and you might be surprised

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
Originally posted by bassvamp:
It doesn't seem to matter as much in the salt as it does in the sweet stuff.
It is DEFINITLY more influential in Fresh.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Dr. B..........Glad you are staying in touch with us NJ guys. In about a month, I am going to wish I was down there in Fla, like you.........Anyway.......my thoughts on barometric pressure are that I think the wind changes associated with the pressure variances are actually a more important prognosticator then the barometer itself. As you know, all these factors interact with one another, so it is difficult to know how one factor alone effects the fishing, because multiple events may occur. For example, an upcoming low front will shift the wind to the east as the pressure drops. The easterly flow effects water clarity and bait movement. I have always attributed the east wind accompanying a dropping barometric pressure to be the real cause of a hot bite before a front moves through. Guys around here can't get to the jetties fast enough when the NE wind blows before a storm.
The other interacting factor is the condition of the seas and the ability to drift properly when the winds shift or intensify associated with frontal movements.
I think I know 1% of what there is to know about these factors. Maybe before I die, I will know 2%. Be well my friend.

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by Capt Harv:
Dr. B..........Glad you are staying in touch with us NJ guys. In about a month, I am going to wish I was down there in Fla, like you.........Anyway.......my thoughts on barometric pressure are that I think the wind changes associated with the pressure variances are actually a more important prognosticator then the barometer itself. As you know, all these factors interact with one another, so it is difficult to know how one factor alone effects the fishing, because multiple events may occur. For example, an upcoming low front will shift the wind to the east as the pressure drops. The easterly flow effects water clarity and bait movement. I have always attributed the east wind accompanying a dropping barometric pressure to be the real cause of a hot bite before a front moves through. Guys around here can't get to the jetties fast enough when the NE wind blows before a storm.
The other interacting factor is the condition of the seas and the ability to drift properly when the winds shift or intensify associated with frontal movements.
I think I know 1% of what there is to know about these factors. Maybe before I die, I will know 2%. Be well my friend.
Thanks Capt, some good points that I will try to use.

We have been fighting some North Northeast winds down here for a while. Dead tonight, North at 10-15. Actually like you said, the guys down here say as soon as the wind switches head to the water. I think you are right it's all of those things put together, but hey I will still fish anyway, you never know

Come'on down it's good here!!

Ron

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.