BASS BARN banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Definitly new to the fly fishing scene entirely. Got a salt water fly rid as a gift, but basically don't really know where to get started. All I have is the rod (10 weight) and the associated real ( I believe it was a combo purchase). Just looking for any info regarding references or advice starting as pretty basic as you can get I would guess. Also if there are any easier "spots" for a beginer (just looking for something general so as to get started). Thanks for the time.

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
fishbonez2105

If you are new I highly recommend joining a club like SJCFA and or hiring a guide. It helps with the learning curve big time!

I recommend fishing calm waters to start - like the backbays.

Start with an easy fly to cast like a small deceiver.

Learn you knots - I struggled with this because I didnt put in the time in the beginning.

·
Registered
7,852 Posts
Like Brian said. As president of SJCFA I would like to welcome you to attend one of our monthly meetings in Ocean City. Next meeting is Sept. 15th. We always have casting practise 6 to 7 prior to meeting. Should still have light to do it. Should be able to hook up with a number of guys who do a lot of fly fishing and get tons of information on spots and methods. Join and on the 17th we are having a picnic at the meeting place. I know a lot of guys will be fishing prior to the picnic that Saturday morning.

Practise casting in a field or lawn. Just put some yarn on the end. Saltwater rods you have to load on front and back cast. Just take it slow.

Once you get a little casting down there are many places for the shore angler to get fish. Just getting out there and doing it is the best teacher. You will find if you are casting from land a stripping basket is a must. Guys from club could tell you what they like best. There are many types.

Get a couple of fish under your belt, your confidence will be up and you will be ready to catch them all the time.

·
Registered
13,624 Posts
I've got a basic frustration: I get outfished by plug anglers (and by myself using plugs) than flyfishing, 3 to 1 easy. Sometimes it's when the fish are further than I can cast: like last year when most of the fish were hanging on the other side of the bar: guys with storms were getting them on every cast, me? 0, even when working the cut next to me to intercept any going into the gully. But I've also had troubles hooking up with blues that will readily take a metal... this is more frustrating because I know I'm in range of the fish, yet don't hook up on the fly. I'm actually going to make a "hopkins" or "deadly dick" fly out of my wife's left over fake nails which have crome tips on them I'm so mad over this.

OK, maybe this isn't a basic question, or even just one. But what is your collective solution(s) to my frustrations?

-- Rob

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Rob 3 to 1, Sorry b ut I have always said one on the fly is worth five spinning. Too address a couple of your problems; If you can't reach them, eith move position or go to want works. Not hooking blues that are feeding--I don't think I have an answer.

fishbonez What Ray said. Also get around as many people who fly as you can. The hard part, is figuring out who knows what they are talking about. The club is a great plan. Good luck.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
First, thank you for the responses.

Brian, Thank you for the suggestions. Would you be able to recomend a guide or would you happen to know of an association closer to philly? and with regards to knots could you recomend some literature or other references to use?

Ray, Thank you as well. While I greatly appreciate the offer to join the association OC is to far for me to be able to attend any meetings.

Do either of you have any recomendations or preferences as far as backing, fly line, tippets and leaders are concerned? thanks again for your time.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Rob, if your expecting to outfish plugs with a fly rod you are in for a long and unhappy trail. Fly fishing is not as efficient as plugs on a day to day basis. I have and I'm sure others will agree that there are times when flys will out-fish plugs or plastics, but it's not the norm. Try fishing with the atitude that it's more of an acomplishment personally than anything else. I have friends that will catch big stripers on eels and beg for me to put one on. But for me it would not be as enjoyable knowing that I just caught my biggest striper on bait when my fly rod is in the boat. So far all of my largest fish inshore, have been on a fly rod, and I own just as many spin and conventional as fly rods.

Fishbones you've got some good advice so follow it and you'll be fine. Remember just do it!

[ 08-31-2005, 09:32 PM: Message edited by: Bill Couch ]

·
Registered
7,852 Posts
rob, Sometimes the distance is what it takes and you have to use a plug. With popping flies sometimes when a fish hits and opens it's mouth it pushes the fly out of the way, compared to a popping plug and there are no treble hooks. I have had better luck lately with the blues using a larger fly than the bait around. It must stand out better and looks like bigger unless the blues are hitting bait in a blitz mode. Also the blues will take the fly as fast as you can strip it. If it goes to slow the blues follow and then peel off. You can't strip it too fast for blues. Stripers it is a different story. Blues are really use to chasing down their food.

fishbonez2105 don't know of a saltwater fly club closer, but you can go to our web-site Southjerseycoastflyanglers.com or Atlanticsaltwaterflyrodders.com both have lots of free information about fly fishing and more links.

I email you some information, if you are interested in fly fishing the Cape May area.

As far as backing, fly line, leaders etc. You will find many different preferences. Start with what you have, try it for awhile. Then try someone elses set up, or many others and you can feel the difference and what you like.

The more you fly fish the more variety you will want. There are times floating is best, intermediate, sinking and heavy sinking. I use mono leaders, mostly 20lb test down to 8lb test when casting real small light flies.

Even if you could only make a few meetings a year, the wealth of information you could pick up would be great. Plus we have a lending library of excellent books and videos.

Best way to learn it to go out and do it.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Rob,
I have fished over blitzing blues on peanuts without a single hit on the fly, so you're not alone. The pluggers throwing 8" poppers with 18 trebles that look nothing like peanuts hook up every time, while I'm throwing a perfect imitation of the baitfish and getting nothing. They wouldn't even hit fly poppers, either. Sometimes that's how it is. Then there are times when the fish will be on tiny baits, like 1" anchovies, and the pluggers throwing 8" poppers get nothing while I score on every cast. It's just an odds game. I really don't keep track, as it was said before, I'd rather get 1 fish on the fly than 10 on the plug. The fly rod is just another tool, not to compete with the other forms of fishing out there. I can fish much more efficiently off a jetty than a plugger can, but that's only because I am fishing differently and can let my fly hang motionless in pockets and things where he can't with a plug.

·
Registered
13,624 Posts
thanks for the responses guys. I guess I do have unrealistic expectations at times.

coming from a freshwater trout world it seems to be the opposite... I catch as many or more fish by fly than any other method... in certain types of water I'll outfish bait.

so I kind of look, then, at what is the best tool for the activity... but I do want to unlock the secret of catching when I should be... that is, when I'm reaching the fish and the fish are on baits that are easily imitated by flies.

I guess I'll try the "bigger fly" and "faster strip" during those bluefish blitzes to get their attention.

-- Rob (but I'm still going to make my "hopkins" fly
)

[ 09-01-2005, 09:32 AM: Message edited by: rob ]

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
fishbonez2105 - as far as a guide - CapeMayRay!

backing - 30lb powerpro or Micron

for lines I use the following

floater - Airflo
intermediate - Airflo Clear, Teeny Intermediate
Sinker - Teeny 350 & 550 grain

leader - 20lb fluro - I usually dont bother with tapered leaders - if Im fishing big flys Ill use one foot section of 50 lb for a butt section to help turn the fly over.

·
Registered
420 Posts
fishbonez2105
You could be come a SCFA member in exile like me. As far as fly fishing clubs in Philly, nothing in the city itself. Depending where you live in the city, the closest is probably the Main Line Fly Tyers. Despite the name, they meet off of Germantown Pike about a mile past Plymouth Meeting Mall.
Here's the url for their web site.
http://www.mainlineflytyers.net/MLFT.htm
I've belonged on in off for the past 20 years. It's a good general club with some excellent tyers and casters, though I'd say the emphasis is on fresh water. For salt water, I believe you need a club like SJCA.

·
Registered
7,852 Posts
Philly, miss you at the meetings. Understand the problem with getting down for the meetings. Our picnic is the 17th of Sept. Maybe you could make that. Many will be fishing early before, probably at Corsons.

[ 09-02-2005, 01:27 PM: Message edited by: CapeMayRay ]

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks everyone for chipping in the advice. It is greatly appreciated.

Brain, thanks for the tips with line and back etc.. the combo came with nothing so i'm still trying to figure out what to use and what goes where.

Philly, I actually live right near the main line and that meeting near the mall is right near where I work. I'll definitly look into it.

Thanks again to all!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts