BASS BARN banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess the surf would qualify for the zero in the reg. 0 to 3 miles to keep Bass after 1/1. Do I have any chance of getting one this month? If I do would I do better Clamm'n or throwing a plug? I'd appreciate any help. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
Yes you have a chance, although this cold snap is lowering the odds each day it stays around. As for clam or artificails, that kind of depends where you fishing and the bait in the water.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
You certainly have a chance, and it is much better than a pipe dream. One of my most memorable days in the surf came several years back. It was January 11th and one of those rare nice 50 degree days. I caught no fewer than 40 bass at IBSP in a few hours of fishing. Most fish were small, but actually managed a keeper that day. Had the beach all to myself. It was a great day catching so many fish on light tackle, throwing 4" Storm shads.

Just before this brief cold snap, fish were still being caught from our local beaches. It's going to be 55 degrees this Saturday once again. I'd say get out and fish, and you have a better than average shot of catching a January bass. This cold snap might have worked to shut things down, but will be so brief I truly think there will still be fish around. I guarantee that there will be enough guys trying, that we will know for sure.

·
Registered
339 Posts
You certainly have a chance, and it is much better than a pipe dream. One of my most memorable days in the surf came several years back. It was January 11th and one of those rare nice 50 degree days. I caught no fewer than 40 bass at IBSP in a few hours of fishing. Most fish were small, but actually managed a keeper that day. Had the beach all to myself. It was a great day catching so many fish on light tackle, throwing 4" Storm shads.

Just before this brief cold snap, fish were still being caught from our local beaches. It's going to be 55 degrees this Saturday once again. I'd say get out and fish, and you have a better than average shot of catching a January bass. This cold snap might have worked to shut things down, but will be so brief I truly think there will still be fish around. I guarantee that there will be enough guys trying, that we will know for sure.
boy they really must of been thick that day!!!:razz:

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
I guess the surf would qualify for the zero in the reg. 0 to 3 miles to keep Bass after 1/1. Do I have any chance of getting one this month? If I do would I do better Clamm'n or throwing a plug? I'd appreciate any help. Thanks.
Ocean front Surf is Legal all year. Bass are there all year. Mainly shorts when water dips below 45. Not sure if legal in 2012 but a good bait would be live Herring (whole or chunked) caught in the surf.There is usually also a Herring run(s) in Jan/Feb along certain sections of Jersey coastline.
Guys in my OLD Fishing Club would literally 'camp-out' in their 'beach buggies' for entire weekends at the North End of Brigantine in January + February back in the 70's-early 80's and KILL the Bass using Herring they just caught off the same beach --mainly shorts-But they had a blast!

·
Registered
20,269 Posts
Craig the Lurker and I must have been the other truck on the beach that day!

We had a few January blockbuster days at IBSP throwing deadly dicks with teasers and simply bailing schoolie stripers. I can't imagine that with the season we had that this January would be any different.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Many fish Still around and not just schoolies, check Renegades Report for 1/4/12

Lots of big fish still around, hitting herring and bunker, see Renegades report below from Wednesday, if that doesn't get the juices flowing in January, nothing will!

The Professor
2301 Striper WA
Forked River, NJ

Renegade - Wednesday - January 4th - Trophy Bass Report-The Real Migration Is Here !

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Went to fill the boat with diesel for our next series of trips. Could see the gannets diving before I even approached the inlet. Went about a mile, drop and reel fishing. Called pops who has had some bad luck all fall and didn't get in on the bite, went back to Fishermans Supply picked him up and went back out, drop and reel fishing on quality bass for as long as you wanted. Miles upon miles of birds and fish chasing bunker and herring. For every bass hooked 20 more followed it to the boat!

Better then any spring run imaginable. Pictures do no justice. Gannets are so feriouse you cant cast a jig. I had to dehook one and nearly broke two fingers, man are they strong, he was fine, I wasn't. All bass and gannets were released unharmed, none were kept. Left the fish biting, only two other boats on the bite, Fishmonger and Cindy Sea.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Don't you remember, you were supposed to go with me that day but couldn't because you were snow tubing? I don't think your little red tube worked very well because it was a bit warm, and the snow in the mountains had turned a little slushy. :huh: :D

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Andy, coming south from Vermont Sunday. Maybe theres still
hope for a striper in January . skiing has been very sketchy
and limited up here. got 3" today and thats like a blizzard ..
but calling for 42 and maybe rain on saturday. oh well its still
white and slippery.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Don't you remember, you were supposed to go with me that day but couldn't because you were snow tubing? I don't think your little red tube worked very well because it was a bit warm, and the snow in the mountains had turned a little slushy. :huh: :D
ouch!!!:D good comeback!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts