BASS BARN banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spoke with a co-worker yesterday who is the resident bridge engineer at the Philadelphia Naval yard (which is near where I-95 crosses the Delaware River). He told me that, from the bridge, some schools of "big fish" were seen swimming near the surface by the edge of the ice. Could this have been bass despite the cold water temp?

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
It was probably Carp. They come up to the surface after ice out...especially when it is sunny. You never know though. But I would bet they were carp.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Big_Fat_Stinky_Clam,

Welcome To The BassBarn.Com,
Glad To Have You Aboard.............

Beautiful Brown Carp....Thanks For The
Picture,Good Job........

I use to Tackle them Suckers on the
Schuykill River as a Boy Growing Up In Phila..
They Would Run Me Clear Across the River and
Back Before I Could Land Them, We Used A
Cornmeal/Vanilla Extract Mixture Dough Ball
To Catch Them.....

·
Registered
67 Posts
Carp are awesome fish to catch. I fish for them during lunch hour - I use flies (hook with white yarn tied around it) and they love.

Some call them poor mans bonefish because they fight so hard.

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
BFSC

Nice fish!!

[ 03-03-2004, 06:39 AM: Message edited by: capthersch ]

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks All,

I got that in the Deleware up around Lambertville. That is the main carp area. I have caught some stripers up there but nothing big. I don't know how big those carp get but the state record is like 50lbs I think. They seem to congragate in large schools in cold water. I don't fish the river much since I live down the shore, but when the shore bite isn't happening I try other things, and we stumbled on this carp fishing one day and believe it or not I only went like 3 or 4 times. Each time we get a really big fish. I'm not sure how much those things weigh, I need to get one of those boga grips with the scale. I think that fish must have been at least 25 lbs. I couldn't even wrap my hand around it's tail. The river is very tough to fish, lose tons of rigs and you have to know how high the water is and stuff. But I highly recommend trying to find some carp, nothing like fighting them in the river current and when we get on a good bite we can catch 20 fish in a few hours. Bread balls, worms and corn all work. I have been on float trips and saw carp in the river all over the place, so chances are if you have access to any part of the river, you will most likely find carp.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Down the river a bit, just outside Taylors bait those monsters will jump otta the water for a peice of bread.But they come back every year.Great catch and even a better picture!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts