BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just was told about Bass pro shop coming to raritan bay on the water with a marina . Did anyone here about this???

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Yes they are coming to the Sayerville waterfront. The fill was running in the site untill the weather got cold so they shut the site down for a while. I don't know when the opening is set but it will be sometime. No Cabellas in Zanadu so the people a Bass Pro got it going. Hope it goes union so some local guys can get back to work.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Bass Pro Shops signs LOI for The Point in Sayreville By Betsy Kraat

SAYREVILLE, NJ--O’Neill Properties Group has announced that Bass Pro Shops, America’s premier outdoor retailer serving over 110 million customers per year, has signed a letter of intent for a 200,000-sf retail store at The Point, one of the largest new mixed use developments in the United States.
The Point, located just 30 miles from Manhattan and minutes away from Staten Island in Sayreville, NJ, will center around a 3 million-sf fortress mall and entertainment district encompassing luxury retail, waterfront and recreation destinations, along with 2,000 high-end residential units (ranging from 3,000-sf waterfront brownstones to 1,800-square-foot two-story townhomes), 650,000 sf of office space, high end hotels and two luxury marinas.
The 8 million-square-foot development will also include waterfront dining, a community center, bike trails, walking paths, and abundant green and open space including a waterfront promenade. The estimated development cost for The Point is approximately $2 billion.
“The Point will be a pedestrian friendly community providing visitors and residents alike with a lifestyle experience unequaled in the Tri-State area,” states Brian O’Neill, Founder and Chairman of O’Neill Properties Group. “Moreover, it will generate thousands of jobs and millions of dollars in new tax revenue.”
The 453-acre site lines three miles of highly visible waterfront along the Raritan River, and 24 lanes of highway in one of the most densely populated and affluent areas of the United States. When completed, it will be one of the most significant developments ever built in the New York area, with more than 30 million visitors expected annually.
The Landing at The Point, the first phase of the project’s development, will be a 620,000-square-foot high-end multi-purpose retail center offering a true neighborhood experience to area residents, tourists and other visitors to The Point. It will include several big box stores, a supermarket, health club and entertainment destinations. The first retail tenant is expected onsite in 2013.
The Mall at The Point will have up to five luxury fashion department stores, a number of junior anchors, and dozens of other retail stores as well as multiple restaurants.
The Mall at The Point is the first truly modern luxury mall to be built in the 21st century, designed with the latest technologies including interactive touch screens to facilitate the customer shopping experience, synchronized outdoor LED media towers for brand advertising and messaging, and large outdoor HD screens broadcasting live sporting events, concerts and other entertainment. The interior will be built based on environmentally friendly principles, with two- and three-story indoor streetscapes throughout.
Along with its modern conveniences, The Mall at The Point is being built to conventional shopping standards, unlike other malls currently under construction in the region, the company noted.
O’Neill Properties is conducting a worldwide search for a premier mall developer for The Mall at The Point, recently narrowing its choice to eight. A mall developer is expected to be selected by the third quarter of 2011.
The Point is surrounded by one of the busiest intersections in the United States, just off the New Jersey Turnpike, Garden State Parkway, U.S. Route 9 and NJ Route 35, and close to I-287 and Route 440. More than 450,000 cars pass the site daily, and over 650,000 per day in the summer months. In addition, there will be regular train and bus service available.
“Leading retailers such as Bass Pro Shops are once again moving forward to complete significant deals, but only in areas that are ideally positioned for them. Sayreville is one of those bullseyes in their sights,” states James Savard, Senior Vice President, O’Neill Properties. “Moreover, The Point is specifically geared towards luxury shoppers, and currently that segment of the population is highly underserved in the Greater New York area.”
The planned Bass Pro Shops location at The Point will be the size of five football fields with expansive aquariums, waterfalls and museum quality fish and wildlife dioramas onsite along with a huge selection of outdoor gear.
The Point is a brownfield development and revitalization project, with 74 acres of protected wetlands and wind and solar farms planned on an additional 14 acres. The project will also utilize green building construction throughout.
“Our purchase of the land for The Point was completed during the height of the financial meltdown, and just days after the collapse of Lehman Brothers,” O’Neill notes. “However, our financial partner understood the attractiveness of the site and continued to move forward with the acquisition. With the economy in the region continuing to improve, we are confident that our instincts are correct.”
O'Neill Properties Group
www.oneillproperties.com

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
No Cabellas in Zanadu so the people a Bass Pro got it going. Hope it goes union so some local guys can get back to work.
Yeah, and then all the local mom and pops go to sh*t..

RyanF

·
Registered
4,601 Posts
Where is this going to be?

I wonder if it's going on the south bound side of Parkway opposite the failed Amboy Cinemas that crapped out due to land settling, etc. There's a lot of site construction going on there and fits the local description above.

That area certainly doesn't seem to be the most stable given the wetlands. That area also doesn't seem like it would handle any of the "luxury" amenities that are mentioned in that article given what's been around there for decades.

Hope it's not another failure like Amboy Cinemas or Zanadu.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Right off the parkway

the old National Lead plant on the south side of the Raritan River Bridge you can't miss the site.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Right by the Parkway

Just was told about Bass pro shop coming to raritan bay on the water with a marina . Did anyone here about this???
I heard its going on the old Dutch Boy paint site. They have been filling in the area for a while now.South side of the Raritan river about 10 or so miles by water to Sandy Hook,Very close to Staten Island,Central and North Jersey an hour or so from Ocean county , I Think they found a good site. The ground is probaly so toxic that a retail site is the only thing you can build there.The site is on the west side of the parkway on the east side they are doing something also .Maybe a marina

·
Registered
4,601 Posts
I Think they found a good site. The ground is probaly so toxic that a retail site is the only thing you can build there.
A "good" toxic site? Well, it is Jersey so we have to grade on a curve. Ha Ha

From that story:
- 2,000 high-end residential units
- 650,000 sf of office space
- high end hotels
- two luxury marinas
- waterfront dining, a community center, bike trails, walking paths, etc.

Color me pessimistic but I think it's not going to work out the way they have pitched it. They are doing a ton of filling in and that area is too soft for that kind of development and the surrounding are has nothing "high end" about it that will attract "luxury" earners that can afford these places.

If it does work out, and I hope it does, it would be a great addition and a nice view from the Parkway, as well as some decent marinas never hurt.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Yeah, and then all the local mom and pops go to sh*t..

RyanF
To be fair, I don't think this will hurt the mom and pops too much on things like bait. And there's still custom rod building and reel repairs done at mom and pop shops...and the fact that most of the mom and pop places are right by marinas or water, so they'll always be more convenient. Frankly, I think that's the only thing that's kept some mom and pop places open anyway, as some of their prices and customer service are absolute garbage. I always prefer to support the little guy, but I'm not gonna pay more to be treated like crap. I guess you have to pick your mom and pops, just like anything else.

·
Registered
196 Posts
thats not great for the local shops. how much business are they gonna lose. maybe not in bait sales but rods and reels and tackle overall??? could be bad

·
Registered
548 Posts
thats not great for the local shops. how much business are they gonna lose. maybe not in bait sales but rods and reels and tackle overall??? could be bad
I agree but if the local shop provides good service even at a little bit of a higher price- this shouldnt affect them. The problem is that most of these local mom and pop shops are rude and their prices are ridiculous so those goes are in trouble.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I worked at a mom and pop shop in the area for a couple of years. I can say for certain that rods/reels were never where we made money. Profits were mostly from ice and bait. Maybe 1 out of 100 customers bought a rod or reel. Maybe less than that, even. And the mark up on the big ticket stuff is small. Just like any retail business, most of the profits come from the little stuff. And, as has been said, the ones with good service will keep customers. The ones without...they might have a little trouble. But convenience is still probably what's kept them in business, anyway.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
i just ran fiber optics into the complex

Well not in yet but to the church out in front but preparing for the future. the place is giong to be amazing i was at a pre-construction meeting

·
Registered
465 Posts
What ever happened to them building in Belmawr in south jersey. Another 2 hour ride towards ny Id rather go to cabelas in pa. No more bass pro orders since you will have sales tax.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts