BASS BARN banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New boat owner. I have a '97 Bayliner Ciera with a battery charger installed. Just moved boat from Cape May two weeks ago. Went down this week and batteries were dead (no shoreline connected). I may end up replacing them since I dont know their age (surprised they went dead in two weeks), but I have a couple of questions. If your boat has a battery charger, where should my battery selector switch be when docked? 1, All, 2 or off. Was advised to keep it to ALL while boat at slip with shoreline connected so both would charge, but wont they charge with selector at off position? Also, how long can i keep it charging before i do batteries any damage by overcharging?

·
Registered
25,494 Posts
Battery chargers hook directly to the batteries so keep the switch in the off position. Buy a staged charger which will charge the batteries quickly when returning after a day's fishing, then will drop down to a trickle charge to keep the batteries topped off.

I have a Guest charger that charges both batts. Goes from 10amps to 5amps as it nears 100% then maintains a 1amp charge to the batts.

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Dang...I guess being a mod make you smarter by the minute...like sleeping at Holiday Inn Expresses...

The only thing I'll add is I'd go for a Xantrax (Statpower) charger....by far the best I've seen/used.....

·
Registered
19,698 Posts
One last thing to add.
I will preface this with, IF WIRED CORRECTLY, the battery switch in the off position is the way to go when docked.

MAKE SURE YOUR AUTOMATIC BILGE SWITCH IS WIRED DIRECTLY TO THE BATTERY !!!!!

·
Banned
2,690 Posts
not so fast...

if the charger is installed correctly....the connections from charger output should be behind the battery switches,when the boat is left at the dock the switch should be in the "off" position-besure to check the auto bilge is hot when the switch is in the off position..
the reason for the connections being like this...there will be no corrosion issues at the battery positive terminals....

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
If the automatic bildge switch hangs up the batterys will die within a couple of days.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
You need to find out why the batteries went dead. After 2 weeks of sitting with no current draw, no way the batteries should be dead. Even after 2 months, a health battery will have enough charge to crank an engine once or twice. You either have something draining the batteries,( light, gauge, radio, bilge pump, refrigerator, corrosion leak path, etc) or the batteries are bad (no water, internal short). Leaving bad batteries on a charger masks bad batteries. If they are more than 3 years old, replace them to start. If you dont know, replace them.

·
Registered
9,997 Posts
Charging Questions

What is the best way to recharge drained batteries if you are not hooked up to an auto charger?

Should you just put it on trickle charge and wait till it drops below 10? Any tips on correct charging appreciated. I've tried many different bat's over 15 years, and my boat can kill anything:rolleyes: My batteries are for inboard gas engine, rigged with a perko switch. (Chevy Marine Power5.7)

Is trickle charge better than 35 amps?
How long should it take for each?
What position should the switch be in when charging?

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
The best way is to install a Xantrex/Statpower 4 stage charger , read the directions and let 'em rip....best charger by far...can bring batts back from the dead...and keeps them tops.....

Nothing else I've seen or used comes close...

Pricey...but worth it....

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Re-Bait said:
What is the best way to recharge drained batteries if you are not hooked up to an auto charger?

Should you just put it on trickle charge and wait till it drops below 10? Any tips on correct charging appreciated. I've tried many different bat's over 15 years, and my boat can kill anything:rolleyes: My batteries are for inboard gas engine, rigged with a perko switch. (Chevy Marine Power5.7)

Is trickle charge better than 35 amps?
How long should it take for each?
What position should the switch be in when charging?
Im guessing you are using an automotive portable charger.
A typical marine starting bat will handle a 35 amp charge without problem. Now if you leave it at 35 amp charge after it reaches full charge, then you will develoop problems from overcharging. Also, automotive charget on boats in the water can lead to corrosion problems. A multi stage marine charger is the way to go.

·
Registered
9,997 Posts
That's right Arch, we have a portable charger on wheels capable of upto 200 amps starting power. I have a couple of drains on the system, and even if the battery switch left on "off" we sometimes have a low or dead batteries.

So what is the optimal way to recharge?

2 amp trickle charge overnite?

A 35 amp 3 hr charge?

a 200 amp hot start and drive away and let the engine charge em?

And what position should the switch be on when charging 2 batteries?

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Re-Bait said:
That's right Arch, we have a portable charger on wheels capable of upto 200 amps starting power. I have a couple of drains on the system, and even if the battery switch left on "off" we sometimes have a low or dead batteries.

So what is the optimal way to recharge?

2 amp trickle charge overnite?

A 35 amp 3 hr charge?

a 200 amp hot start and drive away and let the engine charge em?

And what position should the switch be on when charging 2 batteries?
Depends on how much time you have and how dead "dead" is. Its bad to routinely discharge bats to less than 50% charge.
35 amp rate for the # hours to restore full cap plus a fudge factor of 10%. Batt Sw on both.
Example:
two 100 amp-hours batts fully discharged = 200 amp-hours / 35 = about 7 hours charging.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts