BASS BARN banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many amps should a deep cycle put out?? Cranking? Should it be close to what it says on the batteries. I know nothing about batteries except that these are maintinance free and that one terminal is positive and one is negitive. I ask because I both are 3 years old and I want to check them before charging and then after. I know that alot of guys change them every two years or so but I was wondering anyway. Thanks.

·
Registered
461 Posts
hey cc where do you take your boat? tuckerton? I may be looking for a closer place this year to launch my boat. on the batteries i just put the charger on it slow 2 amps for the day and it automatic shuts off at full, I guess it depends on the size of your motor on how many amps its pulling to start her.

·
Registered
721 Posts
It's more about volts than amps.
I have a battery load tester. Charge them up and we'll check them out.
Definatley check with me before you get new ones.

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
For cranking...it's more about amps than volts.....

Yes the battery should check out near whatever the cranking amps are stated on the label.

A group 24 interstate dual purpose battery usually is aroung 550 cold cranking amps I believe... which is great for n outboard or small block...barely enough for a big block and not nearly enough for anything but a small diesel.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Buck, I'll give you a call.
Thunder, I trailier out of Greatbay Marina in Mystic Island.
Thanks for the info Capt. Scott...I have a 115 Johnson outboard. I just want to be sure as I really don't want to be stuck.

·
Registered
721 Posts
But to answer your question.

12.5 to 12.8 volts fully charged. Not less than 10V. when loaded. A quick test would be to take the voltage reading at rest. Pull your plug wires and crank the engine over for 10 seconds while recording the voltage reading at the end of the 10 seconds. Not as accurate as a load tester, but would get you in the ball park.

The amp reading is going to depend on the load you put on it. It can be measured. Repeat the steps above, but use an in-line or clamp-on amp meter to record the voltage while cranking. But that is just going to tell you what your draw is. If you were to turn on all the accessories and do the starter test and record the amp reading, A good battery salesmen could probably tell you what rating you really need.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Capt. Scott said:
For cranking...it's more about amps than volts.....

Yes, I agree. But for the average guy, the volts are a whole lot easier to understand and test.

Damn,this place moves fast!!!

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Buck....How come you don't have your sneakbox in your sig??? Ashamed because it's glass:D

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Jerseybuck said:
Yes, I agree. But for the average guy, the volts are a whole lot easier to understand and test.

Damn,this place moves fast!!!
Yes....I understand your point.... buuuttttt.... I've seen hundreds of 12V batteries that signal they are taking a charge....show 13.5 volts after charging but won't run a cell phone let alone crank an engine. They'll be 12 volts or so with a few lights on but drop to 10 volts or less while cranking...;) ;)

·
Registered
721 Posts
That's a good one. Some day, a wooden one with a dog hatch!!

I left a few out so I wouldn't look like a boat whore.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Capt. Scott said:
They'll be 12 volts or so with a few lights on but drop to 10 volts or less while cranking...;) ;)
Tried to cover that in post #6.

I think you would be the guy to ask this question. For my own reference.
How many amps should a starter for a 4 cyl. outboard draw?
I can swap you that for forklift starter draw!

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Jerseybuck said:
Tried to cover that in post #6.

I think you would be the guy to ask this question. For my own reference.
How many amps should a starter for a 4 cyl. outboard draw?
I can swap you that for forklift starter draw!
Depends...I really would have to look it up...too many in the industry just guess...I'm a by the book type. But from my experience...I'll bet around 300-400 cranking amps would be plenty when it's warm (say 70 degrees or better)

·
Registered
721 Posts
I was just thinking to myself "That's probably a pretty broad question" I had a 125 Yamaha in mind. No need to look it up, it's not that important, mostly curiousity.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts