BASS BARN banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
iam moving my batteries midship from the transom. obviously the engine leads wont reach . how do i extend them to reach the new battery location?

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I moved 3 batts to my cabin and replaced all the wiring with home runs. It is the best way but most expensive. You could use something like this<<
http://bluesea.com/category/9/38
but it will leave a connection that could cause trouble in the future. It could come lose, get corroded or something....I do everything overkill though. good luck.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i was kinda thinking that, but wasnt sure, i would need 4 of those (twin motors) plus cable wire, pretty expensive.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I moved my batts 2 years ago I bought new batt cables 14 foot long and went from the perco switch which I left in the back. It took alot of uneven weight off the back corner worth doing IMO.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Which every power post that you use, try to install them in a dry area , coat them with liquid electrical tape and keep them tight. Don't forget when installing Battery's and connections to throw away your wing nuts and use nylon lock nuts to keep your connections tight.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks King..

Don't forget when installing Battery's and connections to throw away your wing nuts and use nylon lock nuts to keep your connections tight.
Thanks! Excellent Idea!

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
fishnest

did you move your batteries to make the boat more balanced ? how far forward did you move them &how big is your boat? one battery or two ?:confused:

·
Registered
39,870 Posts

·
Registered
27,561 Posts
check out my 23 regulator upgrade project on here... I went through how I did it including building the cables and engineering the system......

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
AJ looking at your rebuild thread. again nice job. where did you get those stainless scuppers? and do they have that 1 way flapper in them?. mine are plastic and could use an upgrade after iam done with this battery deal

·
Registered
27,561 Posts
I forget where I got them... someplace on the web... I believe they are perko....
They have the 1 way flapper...

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
George,

Number 2 batt cables and forget about extending cables in a 23ft boat. It's a bad idea...and a terminal connection like that is just another possible problem... I've been there and seen it... Just buy the cables, crimp the terminal end then heat shrink seal them the 5200 under the shrink tubing..

We need to get together on the Penn reels thing..or just buy XD50 oil at Barnacle Bills..for those reels.

http://bestboatwire.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=211

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
bob i was gonna call ya,so we could close the deal, but forgot it was easter weekend. i didnt wanna bother ya. so your saying i should just cut the eyelets off the merc cables and crimp (solder) them to new cables to the batts?

We need to get together on the Penn reels thing..or just buy XD50 oil at Barnacle Bills..for those reels

????????????????

1 - 14 of 14 Posts