BASS BARN banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Caught this bass last fall off Island beach state park. The mid section had no scales and felt like smooth skin. Pretty cool none the less. She was released given the fact that she must have over came a vicious attack from another fish.

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
Would say it was caught in a net or ring or something to clean all that off a while ago.......Have caught some similiar

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
Caught this bass last fall off Island beach state park. The mid section had no scales and felt like smooth skin. Pretty cool none the less. as released given the fact that she must have over came a vicious attack from another fish.[/QUOTE

Looks like the beginning of a bacterial infection.

·
Registered
24,070 Posts
Did you buy that at a bizarre? :D

·
Registered
279 Posts
Net is an idea, but did the mark go all the way around? I've seen that a few times in the past and most of the time, there is a tumor on the spine near the forward part of the mark. I release any bass with really weird markings now because I wont eat the meat from a sick fish, nor will I give it to my customers.

·
Registered
279 Posts
It was only on the one side of the fish.

Then id be willing to bet that there was a tumor in there. That's right where it usually is too, starting by the back of the ribs. The worse I had was about a 25lb bass, front half was normal, but the back half was cloudy and the stripes were messed up. Cut her open and there was a tumor the size of my fist. Stunk to high hell. I felt terrible, but I couldn't eat it.

I don't know if it affects them, the ones I caught acted fine and fought great, anywhere from 28" to 25lbs.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Net is an idea, but did the mark go all the way around? I've seen that a few times in the past and most of the time, there is a tumor on the spine near the forward part of the mark. I release any bass with really weird markings now because I wont eat the meat from a sick fish, nor will I give it to my customers.
Hope this pic works - is this what you're talking about? Or are you talking about something you notice without slicin her up?? This fish showed no ill signs from the exterior.

Was told by a biologist that it may be a cancerous tumor, but he had no real way of determining that without a biopsy.

View attachment 54413

RyanF

·
Registered
836 Posts
It may have survived a predator.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Obvious signs it was released from one of those many "bluefish" gill nets that littered IBSP all fall long right smack in the middle of the bass grounds :mad:. Not many survive, this is one very lucky bass.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Answer to weird looking striper

which you have there is one of those OYSTER CREEK NUCLEAR STRIPERS when u get done eating them. turn off all the lights in the house and watch everybody who ate some glow in the dark, its fun for the whole family :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts