BASS BARN banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks for helping me choose tires for my Cherokee and the info regarding tire pressure.
Questions:
Tried the hotline # from the Beach Buggy site and it didn't work. Is there a new #?
Wanted the # to ask the following questions:
Are passes still available for CISP?
Other than the required docs for the vehicle-do I need the required equipment in the vehicle at the time of obtaining the pass?

$ is a little tight right now. I will join the NJBBA- but my priorities (dictated by $) would be
1)Pass (if availible) 2)purchase of required equipment 3) become a member.

I will probably be heading to OC today for the change of tide and try some jettys from afternoon into the dark. If I can purchase a pass perhaps I will be able to drive on the NEXT time I fish.

If there are no passes left for CISP my second choice will be for LBI-Holgate.

I've driven on the beach with a Barner last fall. I have not done so yet with my Jeep. I will get the necessary equipment before I venture out. Perhaps I could even schedule my first time when one of you intend to be at my destination.

Thanks

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Yes, The CISP Permits Are Still Available...

Here is whats needed in most cases for every 4x4 permit..
The following eleven (11) items are MANDATORY in order to drive a 4 X 4 on the beach:
Fishing Equipment (rod & reel), Tackle/Bait for each person over the age of 12!
Tire Pressure Gauge capable of registering down to 5 psi or below.
Full size Spare Tire
Workable Jack plus a support board (3/4" x 12" x 12" minimum) I carry a piece of Douglas Fir, 1-½" thick x 12" wide x 30" long.
Tow Line - minimum 14 foot long: Rope 3/4", Chain (5/16" diameter links min.) or Snatch Line (1-½" wide) or braided steel cable (1/4" min.)
Shovel (Not a plastic toy beach shovel)
Flashlight
Fire Extinguisher
Auto First Aid Kit
Litter/Trash Bag (Carry In/Carry Out)
Minimum of 3/4's tank of Fuel.
Additional Suggested Equipment for ANY Beach
Safety Flares
Self-Contained Toilet (where applicable)
1 Gallon Water
5 gallon bucket
Hand or DC electric air pump

You need to have your 4x4 inspected at Bellplain State Park in WoodBine, here is their # 861-2404

[ 10-28-2005, 10:47 AM: Message edited by: NIGHTSTRIKES ]

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
For new vechiles they will ask to see your safety equipment. Just call Bell Plain State Park to see if any passes are still avaliable. As for Holgate/ LBI pass, the Holgate beach is a difficult one to drive. Best to go with someone or walk it to see if you are willing to drive it.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I'll flip priorities 1) & 2) and hopefully still be able to get a pass.

Was a passenger many times at Holgate last year. The only beach driving I've ever done. Beautiful place. Definately more advanced for driving.
I'll be learning in the daylight where ever I go. And hopefully with some assistance.

Cherokee Questions: Will a full size spare fit in the same place as the modified spare tire?
Jack- is the standard Cherokee Jack sufficient for the required equipment list?

More questions soon. Thanks

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
What year Jeep? Have 97 Cherokee took out small spare and put in full size spare, no problem. Got the spare at the junk yard brand new W/ matching rim for $90. :cool:

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Originally posted by Gator:

Cherokee Questions: Will a full size spare fit in the same place as the modified spare tire?
Jack- is the standard Cherokee Jack sufficient for the required equipment list?

More questions soon. Thanks
I believe a full spare will fit, I had one in my 2000 Cherokee.And the most important part of the jack would be to have the proper size board to place it on to support the jack in the sand to change the tire.. SO You Should Be Good...

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
2000 Cherokee. Thanks for the info. And I did hear you on the previous. I will have everything with me prior to going for the pass.
I'll probably cut some corners with things like tire deflators. I've gathered info from this site but I want to see some working in person.

Question/suggestion on guages and fire extinguishers- I want a guage with a hose-that's reliable- where and what kind? Would rather not do the mail order- so Pep Boys-walmart etc?
Extinguisher- house size-vehicle size-what is allowable. What do you use?
I'll call Bellplain- but still interested in your feedback.
Thanks alot. I'll call then try to make the tide.
Greg

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Greg, Yeah you really don't need anything fancy for tire deflating/inflating etc.. PepBoys should have a decent one cheap.. I actually
just have a pop-up indicator..After airing down/up so many times, I have it down to a science timing how much air to let out and to let in with how many seconds it takes for each tire.. 5 Minute Job Both Ways...
Don't go overboard with a fire extinguisher either,standard size one for a vehicle or kitchen etc.,nothing too big...

Good Luck Buddy, There Is Nothing Like Cruising the beach in search of fish,and just wait to you start chasing blitz conditions with your 4x4.
Just Craziness......

[ 10-28-2005, 04:44 PM: Message edited by: NIGHTSTRIKES ]

·
Registered
24,070 Posts
A full spare will fit. I got mine from a Jeep place in Harleysville for 15 bucks. NICE!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys-
Blitzes in the 4x4- I'm sure it will be nice to be on the other side of that one. On my occasional
luck in catching a blitz -I was usually the only person who had walked there- suddenly had lots of company-and just a suddenly was alone again after it was over.
Thats a good walk out to the point at CISP-even longer walk back.
Looking forward.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts