BASS BARN banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Scalloper runs aground in Barnegat Light On-board power failure leads to boat drifting through inlet

By JARRETT RENSHAW Staff Writer, (609) 978-2015
Press of Atlantic City

BARNEGAT LIGHT - A local commercial fishing boat ran aground in the early morning hours Tuesday, after a power failure left the vessel to the mercy of the sea.

The scalloper, John De Wolf II, belongs to John Larson, the father of borough Mayor Kirk Larson.

The U.S. Coast Guard said the boat lost power around 12:30 a.m. Tuesday, soon after leaving Viking Village Marina, the boat's homeport.

The outgoing tide pushed the boat past the northern jetty and through Barnegat Inlet. Then, the current brought the boat southward toward the ocean, according to Coast Guard officials.

The waves then pushed the boat onto the 12th Street beach sometime in the early hours of the morning, according to Coast Guard officials.

There were two crewmembers on board, and neither suffered injuries, according to Coast Guard officials.

Marion Larson, John Larson's wife, said her husband responded to the news as he always does.

"He was cool, calm, collected. He does not seem to get overworked about anything," Marion Larson said.

"It's a good thing we have insurance," she added.

Marion Larson said members of the local fishing community called once they heard the news to lend a hand.

The family, including Kirk Larson, owns 11 commercial fishing boats, Marion Larson said.

In 1998, another one of their boats, a longliner, ran aground in Harvey Cedars.

John Larson and Kirk Larson could not be reached for comment Tuesday. According to family members, the pair was in Louisiana to look at buying a new scalloper.

It is unclear how much damage the John De Wolf II took, but investigators believe that most of the damage was limited to the cage that protects the propeller.

Scallopers typically need about 9 feet of water to operate, according Coast Guard officials.

Investigators boarded the boat and removed all fuel and oil products on board. No environmental damage occurred, according to Coast Guard officials.

Officials said the boat would be towed sometime Tuesday evening during high tide.

[ 10-28-2004, 09:58 AM: Message edited by: NIGHTSTRIKES ]

·
Registered
815 Posts
I wonder why they could not anchor when it was in deep water? Sounds like it could have been much worse, for instance, if there was a south wind pushing up along that North Jetty.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Boat grounded in Barnegat Light floats, then sinks Had been grounded in Barnegat Light

From Press staff reports

BARNEGAT LIGHT - A local commercial fishing boat that ran aground in the early morning hours Tuesday, after a power failure left the vessel to the mercy of the sea, sank Wednesday afternoon while the vessel was being towed to the inlet, officials said.

Mayor Kirk Larson, son of the John De Wolf II's owner, said Wednesday the U.S. Coast Guard, which attempted to save the vessel, botched the rescue effort.

He said that the Coast Guard should not have emptied the boat's fuel tanks because the shift in weight destabilized the vessel.

Now, Larson said, the boat is under water with fuel that's going to get all over the place.

There were varying accounts of when fuel and oil were removed from the boat and by whom.

A Coast Guard official on the beach near the boat Tuesday evening said that fuel and oil products were removed from the boat by Coast Guard emergency management personnel who came down from Philadelphia.

However, in a written release Wednesday, the Coast Guard said, "The owner of the 54-foot Barnegat Light fishing boat contracted Northstar Marine to remove the diesel fuel and oily bilge water from the vessel before Shamrock Towing attempted to tow the vessel off the beach."

The John De Wolf II belongs to John Larson.

The U.S. Coast Guard said the boat lost power around 12:30 a.m. Tuesday, soon after leaving Viking Village Marina, the boat's homeport on the bay side of the island.

The outgoing tide pushed the boat past the northern jetty and through Barnegat Inlet. Then, the current brought the boat southward toward the ocean, according to Coast Guard officials.

The waves then pushed the boat onto the 12th Street beach sometime in the early hours of Tuesday, according to Coast Guard officials.

There were two crewmembers on board, and neither suffered injuries, according to Coast Guard officials.

The vessel was successfully "refloated" Wednesday morning, according to the Coast Guard. Scallopers typically need about 9 feet of water to operate, according Coast Guard officials.

The scalloper sank around 11:45 a.m. while being towed back to the inlet.

It is unclear how much damage the John De Wolf II took when it was grounded, but investigators believe that most of the damage was limited to the cage that protects the propeller.

The Coast Guard's Marine Safety Office in Philadelphia will investigate the incident, according to Wednesday's Coast Guard statement.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Night, thanks for posting.

Not being a smarta$$ as it's a tragedy, but just for my own education if the boat's oil and fuel were emptied, how, after sinking, is going to get all over the place like Larson says?

I know they probably can't remove all of it but it just seems contradictory to me.

Mac

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep, It Sounds Like There Is More To The
Story Here... I will try to get some local
info over the weekend......

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
looks like a new inshore dive site. something that i can paddle my kayak to, and finally put the tank well to use. sweet.

·
Registered
696 Posts
The local info I got, was that the boat hit an ocean marker outside the inlet and lost power. It was a brand new boat. The fuel/oil thing, wasn't mentioned. Don't know any other specifics other than you could go up and knock on the hull Tuesday in a pair of sneakers without getting wet. Heard it went down around 23rd.

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
they wern't going fishing with two onboard.i agree with capt, cris the first thing is anchor and if no power shoot a flair or 2 up.as strikes said there is more.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts