BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I was farting around, trying to figure out what to do with this fine weather. I looked into the winter stocking of rainbow's, which is usually in January. Turns out they stocked at the end of November. So I went over to take a look and see if it was ice covered. Now this was yesterday. It was almost comepletly covered. So this morning I get up, get my kids together.(9 and 3 yr old boys) and head over.(Birch Grove Park) It was nice to see plenty of water this time, and I figured them little trouts would be hungry. They were. My 2 boys got 12 rianbows and missed atleast another 20 in about 2 hrs. It was my 3 yr old first time reeling in a fish. It was AWESOME!! He even released the fish after I unhooked them. All except for the gut hooked fish that didn't make it. It was floating and my son was telling everyone that walked by that,"I killed it!!""It's dead!!"
So if your bored, grab some power bait and go ultralight. I'll be there again tomorow around 11am or so.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I hit my lake in November when they first stocked trout. From what I understand the change from January to November was not well publicized, I only knew because I check on the NJ Fish and Wildlife site often.
I like the change as the trout should live throughout the winter and give us another winter time option for fishing.
Good job on the trout Eelball, it was beautiful out yesterday. My lake went from completely frozen over to free of all ice in 2 days.
Hope to get some freshwater fishing in this week, time to pick up my 2005 license.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Got my license online and caught 7 bows on nymphs here in Clinton. It's a tradition for me to get a picture of the first trout of the year.

·
Registered
24,070 Posts
For those in the Montgomery Co. area, remember ,Stony Creek in Norristown had a stocking back in Nov. with lots of big breeders. This warm weather may just get them biting. I may go after work tomorrow--60 degrees!
I got my license at Walmarts today--Its up to $31 with the stamp.But when you ask for Walmart gift cards for XMas, its not so bad!

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Got 8 nice Rainbows this mornin from 6:30 to 8:00 at Levittown lake. Yellow powerbait was the trick these fish came from the North Carolina hatchery's and are real fat.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
eelball,
I see you were back at it today at the park,,
saw your JEEP while I was on lunch break...

How did You Make Out?, Beautiful Day Out There
Today...

·
Registered
8,344 Posts
Caught some pickeral and perch thru the ice in the poconos on Thursday. I here it is a little slippery now with the warm weather.

·
Registered
24,070 Posts
I caught a 6" Brook trout today on a dry fly. Lots rising. I had about 5 others sip it but I couldnt hook. Its still exciting.

Betty & Nicks saying a striper on every cast!!!
Its supposed to be warm into next week.
Maybe it isnt over.

·
Registered
805 Posts
caught 3 pickerel hour,1 of them went close to 3 lbs. all this nice weather is making it hard to get things done around the house.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Originally posted by eelball:
Strikes,
Got 3 Sunday and 9 yesterday. 24 over a 3 day period. about 6 hrs of total fishing.
Nice, Have You Caught Any Of Those Big Cats
That I Saw Them Stock In That Section A Couple
of Months Ago ?, They Were Huge....

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
eel/strikes, do they stock all of those lakes at birch grove? i never realized how many there were until i took my daughter there to walk some of the trails on sunday. i also didn't realize that the park was that big. we probably walked about 1.5 miles or so, and for her only being two, i thought that was pretty good.

it looks like the only lakes that would allow flyfishing would be right there in the front, since a back cast would be almost impossible on any of the smaller lakes that i saw.

·
Registered
920 Posts
With all these replies, looks we need to get that freshwater fishing forum up! ;) Some good stuff here--- I plan to be doing some freshwater fishing until 3/1-------Mike

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Originally posted by rockdoc:
With all these replies, looks we need to get that freshwater fishing forum up! ;) Some good stuff here--- I plan to be doing some freshwater fishing until 3/1-------Mike
Mike, It Will Be Here Shortly, Stay Tuned...

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Originally posted by doyle007:
eel/strikes, do they stock all of those lakes at birch grove?
Not Too Sure, I Know The First Two They Do,
Maybe eelball might know for sure....

·
Registered
6,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The rainbows are in the front lake only.
For the spring stocking. The front 3 lakes get stocked, and Dog lake, which is a little further back. It has road access for them to stock.
In years past they would also stock a 5th lake, called crystal lake, but last year they didn't.
Anyone that works there will be able to point you to any of the stocked ponds if you need help, but for now, stay up front. My personal favorite is next to an overhanging pine ;)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts