BASS BARN banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last few days I was able to get through them to get to the bass but they overrun me today. With only the morning to fish my choices were limited. Some marks could of been bass but with thousands of blues I will never know. The machine was entirely lit up most of the time as wave after wave of blues passed under the boat. The blues were moving very fast so its hard to tell where they are by now but it was like a finned locust invasion.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Last few days I was able to get through them to get to the bass but they overrun me today. With only the morning to fish my choices were limited. Some marks could of been bass but with thousands of blues I will never know. The machine was entirely lit up most of the time as wave after wave of blues passed under the boat. The blues were moving very fast so its hard to tell where they are by now but it was like a finned locust invasion.
Thanks ron. We actually like catching blues from time to time if there are enough of them and they are big enough. Hope we can find them Tues and Wed.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Tidewater 180cc

Thanks ron. We actually like catching blues from time to time if there are enough of them and they are big enough. Hope we can find them Tues and Wed.
Was up there in Raritan Bay today.Caught some nice blues,biggest was 30 in.They do fight nice.Not what I was after,though.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Thanks for the report big Ron, we caught as many big tackle busting blues as we could handle last Monday. I never thought I would say we had to pull the lines out of the water to eat lunch but the blues were hammering the baits we had to get a break. Great fight on light tackle but should have had wire leader on and would have saved 25 hooks:eek:

·
Registered
9,111 Posts
We had a " quad " header on shad umbrella rig today, Monday - that's FOUR bluefish on the one rig, and yes, it was heavy.

First time we've had 4 on one rig.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Question for you guys in regards to defeating the blues....

Will a striper go after a chunked bait when using a wire leader? Or will the wire leader deter them?

I was going thru too many hooks also so I switched to those pre tied bluefish rigs with the wire leader but i haven't hooked up with a striper since.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wire leader will reduce the bass bites a lot, how much depends on the day and conditions. Some guys use black surflon. I buy hooks in bulk to keep the cost down, use a heavier leader and set the hook quicker. But even then they chase me out of many spots.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Question for you guys in regards to defeating the blues....

Will a striper go after a chunked bait when using a wire leader? Or will the wire leader deter them?

I was going thru too many hooks also so I switched to those pre tied bluefish rigs with the wire leader but i haven't hooked up with a striper since.
Last weekend I was losing hooks to the blues and changed over to 60lb leader and 8.0 circle hooks. Filled the cooler with them and didn't lose many hooks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts