BASS BARN banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone!

We had another open boat group out today to the togging grounds. Aboard with us were Bob, Chip, Sam, Tony, Clyde, and Jeff. We left early, and found a stiffer than expected NW wind blowing and a big southwesterly heave left over from last night. It was fairly sloppy, so we took our time getting out. Setting up on drop #1, there was a fairly strong tide running in to a fairly stiff wind with a big, sloppy heave coming from the other direction. This made for sloppy anchoring, but after playing with the hooks for a bit, we got set up properly. Unfortunately, the tog didn't want to chew, and although we did get a few bites it wasn't good at all and after spending some time trying to uneventfully build some life, we pulled the hooks and made a move. There wasn't much tide at this point, but enough wind to hold you. Drops #2 and #3 were quiet. At this point, I am getting aggrevated with the lack of a bite. The only thing I can come up with is they were off the bite early with the big heave and weird current.

Anyhow, around 11am, we pulled the hooks and headed for drop #4. No wind at this point, and we were wondering if it was really January as the air temps were in the 50's, there was no wind, and it was FLAT calm at this point.

Maybe this is what got the togs chewing, because after setting up, Clyde hooked up a real good fish that went 8 pounds. Jeff was next...a 10lber....

The bite was nice and steady for a bit, with some big fish coming over the rail! Tony got in the game and boxed another BEAUTY tipping the scale back at the dock to right near 12lbs...

We put a number of fish in the box here, and with time wearing thin, we made one more wiggle and found another good pick of nice fish down the starboard side. We boxed several more keepers, and Chip got the big daddy of the day going 13lbs....

What started out slow, finished STRONG! We boxed four limits in less than a couple hours on our last two drops and then headed for the Barn! The fish were really nice...best quality of the year! 3 fish that were 10lbs or better to Chip's 13lber, a couple of 8lbers, and the rest 4 to 7's. THANKS GUYS!

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Way to put em on those big ****** Lips Legend.
I expect to see pics with the Manscaper Wack Packs hoisting some big *** White Chins...Yea!

·
Registered
12,896 Posts
nICE TO SEE THE BIGGUNS ARE BITINg

Did tony's reel freeze up?
Did Chip Monkeygrind then on a replacement st croix?

Good Trip for sure

·
Registered
13,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone! The big boys and girls are certainly starting to chew. Water temps are still in the mid to upper 40's, so they will hopefully bite through February. That would be GREAT!

·
Registered
3 Posts
tom-
funny u should ask.
no st croix yet and i was using an old ugly stick since i figure i could not snap that. only thing that snapped was my bail on the reel.
had to use adams rod and caught that fish within 5 minutes. dont think my gear would have got him up. funny how things work out. hope to see u out soon.
fyi tony was on fire today

·
Registered
13,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
tom-
funny u should ask.
no st croix yet and i was using an old ugly stick since i figure i could not snap that. only thing that snapped was my bail on the reel.
had to use adams rod and caught that fish within 5 minutes. dont think my gear would have got him up. funny how things work out. hope to see u out soon.
Chip, great fishing with you again today! See ya Thursday! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Nice job adam, just out of curiosity, do you grapple or double anchor?

·
Registered
12,896 Posts
tom-
funny u should ask.
Good luck and will look for post Thursday

Glad Tony got on -you fish looked nice as well

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.