BASS BARN banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a new participant on this forum I wonder if someone could pass along some info on when things begin to heat up in the back bays, inland waterway, and in the surf. I usually fish in the Sea Isle, Ocean City, Avalon area.
Thank you very much and I really enjoy reading the comments on this forum.

Sodhopper

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
Depending on weather anywhere from March to May. April if you really wanted to nail down one month.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Keep watching the Bass Barn and you will know when the Big Blues arrive. They will be chasing the herring. There will be plenty of reports and info posted here. The Stripers arrive right behind(Or with) the blues. They start actively feeding when the water temps get up to say 45 to 50 degrees. Depending on the weather conditions this could happen in March or sometimes much later. If your looking to land a large striper you'll need to know how to fish with live herring(Striper Candy).

Alot of guys fish the Delaware river in the spring and do real well (Catch and release only). I fish the Ocean. I don't catch as many as they do in the river but I can keep them.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any other questions.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you for that info, Cardshop. I also enjoy fishing the surf, but this fall had good luck in the marshes behind Ocean City. Caught a nice 31" one night, early in December around 8:30 pm on a sufrace popper. Also caught a smaller 20" on a black bomber long "A".
Went down to Sea Isle a week ago Sunday. Just a nice day, but not even a "hit". Guess you know why I'm anxious for the Spring run.

thanks,
Sodhopper

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
Yes, a bunch of us fish the DR up near Trenton each spring and the action is pretty awesome.

In-Depth becomes kind of a "moderator" of the "River Reports" over on the Striped Bass forum for the duration of the DR Spring run.

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
Just to add....we dont see the blues in S.Jersey for a while after the bass have arrived. Just a side note for S.Jersey waters.

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
Hip do you mean in the surf the stripers come before the blues.Im not tryin to be a wise azz or anything,but i know ive been to the rips in early spring and you couldnt get an eel past all the damn bluefish,just asking a question,maybe im missing something,Vinny Pastella

[ 01-07-2004, 03:31 PM: Message edited by: VDAWG ]

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
Mostly in the back bays but I havnt ran into too many in the surf either. Im talking early...March April...before they are leaving the spawning grounds in late April/May. A lot of people dont start when they are staging only when they are here in full force along with blues, skates and dogfish. Does that answer your question?? I know youarnt a wise guy ;)

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
Maybe I am breaking up the spring run into too much detail?? I start fishing when you are praying for one or two fish.

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
I know Cardshop fishes IBSP and North thats why I said that. Its a whole different world as far as fishing goes from our waters.

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
Hip,
Thanks,yes that does answer my question.And i agree,heck i usually catch my first striper when fishing for early weekfish,and usually on a bloodworm when water temps are still cold where trout arent taking artificials yet,and there are no blues around then.however i always believed these were resident bass,who knows?Vinny Pastella

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
Keep in mind there are Bass staging in the D. Bay in Feb/March if it isnt riciculously cold like last year. They dont get caught because virtually nobody is fishing for them. Plus, They are more scattered early so you wont find big schools but fish trickling in.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Their will be bass in the backwater March 1rst....trust me ;)

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Bass will be in back waters as early as March 1,catching them will depend on water temps
40 degrees being key temp on outgoing tides near shallow bays
Big fluke will be caught April 1 on fresh bait in small chunks
Blues arrive start arriving around April 15th
IF weather is milder and ocean water temps DON'T drop below 40 you can figure a week or 10 days earlier

·
Registered
20,269 Posts
I guess if you are into really freezin your azuski off, you can join the March bloodworm crew at Graveling Point.

Before the boats go in for the past five years it has been where we started the season... keep an eye on scottsbt.com and be sure to stop in.. it is a great local shop with some of the nicest people you will ever meet.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Originally posted by hipkvw:
Depending on weather anywhere from March to May. April if you really wanted to nail down one month.
Exactly.....
I take a good look in March,Last Year I Fished
Too Hard In March without any success,the previous
Winter was just too cold and icy for it to be
productive..This Year I am Strictly Watching The
Water Temps (40+)before I Hit It Hard When The
BackBay Season Opens...And Looking At The Long
Range Forcast January Is Going Out Very Cold-
Below Normal...Looking For A Warm Feburary and
Hoping the GroundHog Doesn't See His Shadow. :D

·
Registered
200 Posts
Sodhopper, in the spring when the herring show up in Mayslanding ,try fishing in the Egg harbor river or the tuckahoe river using herring ,we catch alot of stripers between the second week of march and the end of april .Livelining is best but cut herring will catch fish also, but mostly catfish ,these rivers are behind Ocean City ,west of the Beesly Point power plant,Regards Steve

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Originally posted by STEPHEN MCGREGOR:
Sodhopper, in the spring when the herring show up in Mayslanding ,try fishing in the Egg harbor river or the tuckahoe river using herring ,we catch alot of stripers between the second week of march and the end of april .Livelining is best but cut herring will catch fish also, but mostly catfish ,these rivers are behind Ocean City ,west of the Beesly Point power plant,Regards Steve
Good Information Mr.McGoFish,(I like that name)Thanks
Wasn't The New State FreshWater Record Striped
Bass Taken up the EggHarbor River that way a
few years ago?

[ 01-13-2004, 02:14 PM: Message edited by: NIGHTSTRIKES ]

·
Registered
7,313 Posts
Hope She got to lay her eggs..... :(

[ 01-13-2004, 08:33 PM: Message edited by: Keeper Seeker ]

1 - 19 of 19 Posts