BASS BARN banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 15 year old niece wanted to get out with us and try for a striper. I told her it was going to be cold, but she did not seem to care. We fished with clams for the last 2 hours of the outgoing, but the amount of salad in the water made it difficult to do anything. Just before dead low she says, "I think I just had a nibble". I turned to look at her rod tip and a second later the rod doubled over. She played the fish like a pro (with a little coaching) and few minutes later had a fat 33" bass in the boat. Her smile said it all, even as we watched the bass swim away.

·
Registered
453 Posts
just wanted you to know my buddy just called me from oc area and said he hooked a striper over 40 inches. i will post pics when i get them. fish was caught on clam.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A 40" is a NICE back bay fish. We didn't get a lot of stripers in the back this year, but just about all of the fish we got were over 28".

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
AM I RIGHT OR WRONG--IT SEEMS LIKE IN THE BACKBAYS FROM OC TO CAPE MAY THAT OC IS FAR FROM THE BEST BY BOAT.I DON'T FISH THAT AREA BUT I READ EVERYTHING ON THE BARN.

·
Registered
453 Posts
caught 4 keepers today in ocean city. only kept 1. the water is nice around there. alot of places to fish even if you are new to the world of boating you can always find fish.

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Logic Nice report & I'm glad the fish is still swimming. Ron

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
GF and Sparse thanks for the kind words and I agree, it felt good to watch that fish swim away.
Biggest, I'm pretty new to the saltwater thing and have not really tried any other south jersey back bay areas yet. Jill and I catch tons of blues behind OC, but this is the first year that we've had any decent action with bass. Flukesnatcher is right, there is no shortage of structure in the area so even a saltwater newbie like me can find good looking spots to fish.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Skip. Jill and I are really looking forward to our Stalker trip on the 9th. I hope the weather gods are with us.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts