BASS BARN banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Caught a nice 36"er this sunday at Bug light. Cut her open to check the stomack content. she was filled with what looked to be sea oats stalks about a dozen of the four inches long. Anyone see this before?

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
my first bass of the year couple of weeks ago had a stomach full

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Just a theory, but is it possible that the plant material you are seeing in these fish are nothing more than incidentally ingested material? I am thinking that these fish were trashing baitfish against floating weeds or the plant materials were flush with Shrimp. I just can't see a decidedly carnivorous fish eating plants. Hmmmm, who knows?

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
Depends on how much action,the plant had while moving about in the water,add some current and a little wind to a free floating floundering plant,and i could see a striper eating it,thinking it was something alive and meaty,If it swims they will eat it,maybe even if they think it swimming they will eat it also,Just some thoughts,Vinny

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
These stalks looked fresh about four inches long and were stacked side by side neatly in the stomack. Didn't see any shrimp in the stalks. very, very strange.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.