BASS BARN banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stupid question - underwraps - coat of finish before installing the guides??

Thanks,

RyanF

·
Registered
8,254 Posts
you can do either way.
sometimes i do, other times just wrap without finish till end.
we usually can put a coat of CP on threads, then guide and finish.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you can do either way.
sometimes i do, other times just wrap without finish till end.
we usually can put a coat of CP on threads, then guide and finish.
How could I forget you dude, my bad bro!!! Probably cause you're messing with the big boys in the offshore forum....

Any advantages to finishing the underwrap? Strength? I am digging everything about rod building EXCEPT letting the finish rotate overnight.....

Thanks Paul,

RyanF

·
Registered
8,254 Posts
build in the morning:D

no extra strength, a little extra weight, extra step.
i do it sometimes, not to often. coat of CP and you are good.
and you really dont need cp all the time it but does help hold the tread.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
It will make it easier to replace a Bad Guide down the Road. but you do not have to do it. like paul said a little more weight. But neglagible on a Saltwater rod CP if Needed

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
build in the morning:D
If only I had that luxury, or the motivation to get up an hour earlier. Haha...

It will make it easier to replace a Bad Guide down the Road.
That's a good point - I really want to strip a few of my older rods and rewrap them but the entire process of taking a razor blade to the blank is a scary proposition...

RyanF

·
Registered
8,254 Posts
That's a good point - I really want to strip a few of my older rods and rewrap them but the entire process of taking a razor blade to the blank is a scary proposition...

RyanF
NO FEAR....stop over i will give you something to use..take the fear away.

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
Stupid question - underwraps - coat of finish before installing the guides??
I never do -- I just do the underwrap, do the overwrap over it (dry), and then finish the whole schmear at once. I have nowhere near enough time to do multiple coats of thread epoxy.

For me, the big benefit of coating the underwraps is that doing so allows you to use thinner thread on the overwrap. Take a saltwater boat rod, for example, that you want to do an underwrap on: you really don't need anything heavier than Size A thread on the overwrap, but it's very hard (at least it is for me) to wrap A thread directly over an A underwrap. To get around this, I usually use Size C or even Size D for the overwrap, as the larger threads don't get "caught" in the grooves of the underwrap. If you finish the underwrap, using A on the overwrap is a piece of cake.

But to me the extra time isn't worth it -- I wrap everything first, and then finish everything all at once, with a single application of Threadmaster High Build. This has worked great for me.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
NO FEAR....stop over i will give you something to use..take the fear away.
I should really stop by. I'll wait until I have few builds 100% done, then I will bring them over and you can rip me apart.....

I never do -- I just do the underwrap, do the overwrap over it (dry), and then finish the whole schmear at once. I have nowhere near enough time to do multiple coats of thread epoxy.

For me, the big benefit of coating the underwraps is that doing so allows you to use thinner thread on the overwrap. Take a saltwater boat rod, for example, that you want to do an underwrap on: you really don't need anything heavier than Size A thread on the overwrap, but it's very hard (at least it is for me) to wrap A thread directly over an A underwrap. To get around this, I usually use Size C or even Size D for the overwrap, as the larger threads don't get "caught" in the grooves of the underwrap. If you finish the underwrap, using A on the overwrap is a piece of cake.

But to me the extra time isn't worth it -- I wrap everything first, and then finish everything all at once, with a single application of Threadmaster High Build. This has worked great for me.
I am doing D over the A underwrap. I don't even really know why I am doing an underwrap to be honest. No buttwrap, nothing fancy, just black stealth surf stick. Hell, I would even attach my VS with electrical tape if the reel wasn't a rod whore...Dark gray under on black over....

Flex Coat Finish - because I am rolling with everything that came in my googan build kit right now.....those questions will come up when I run out of my prelim stock of material...

RyanF

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Stupid question of the night - anywhere to get decals without paying 3X the decal price in shipping??

RyanF

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
648 Posts
Careful, some people say they will help, and then charge you 4 times retail...someone in this thread is the culprit, always trying to "help beginners" yeah right get real...keep your eyes open ryanf

·
Registered
8,254 Posts
ryan.
give a call, today or tommorrow afternoon is good and will be open playing with blanks sunday.
i think the sticker is like 3$
2.65 retail and .35 shipped to me..

you know you cant beat my prices.....but you have been here:D

if i can get to them:rolleyes:check out the 10' 6oz heaver.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts