BASS BARN banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first post to this board, but I am a closet Flyfishing guy. Mostly trout, but I own a 10w, for emergency boerdom down here on the Chessie. Anyway, does anyone have any advise for Bermuda fishing? I can't really afford an offshore trip, so I was thinking bones on the flats. Just don't know how to go about it. I imagine I will have to hire a guide, has anyone been there, or have any suggestions?

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Having never been there, or ever fished for bones, I don't know what to tell you. I'd say get a guide for at least a 1/2 day to show you the ropes. From what I've seen bones like little shrimp and crab flies. Skinny water clousers will probably work just fine. Have fun!

·
Registered
789 Posts
I know of one fly-fishing guide on Bermuda. You can visit his web site at jumpdembones.free.bm
His specialty of course is bonefish. I booked with him on several days in September of 2002, but could'nt get out (tropical storm settled in).
I saw several bones while snorkeling along the beach and they were huge. There are all kinds of charters for "offshore" species, but i don't think they would be up to the flyrod thing. Good luck if you go.

·
Registered
7,961 Posts
Richard, welcome. Never fished there, but I am sure there has to be something good to catch there. Let us know how you make out. Fly fishing is all fun. You got to catch some saltwater fish. It is alittle different than the trout end. You got to do it all. I am even learning about trout fishing and I am 99percent saltwater. Fly Tyer has taken me once, but he only takes me on nasty days, when no one catches.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Ray,
I was only returning the favor of when you took me out on your boat and not caught anything
. I couldn't take you trout fishing in the end of May when there were a zillion hatches going off, trout flopping out of the water everywhere, and your odds of catching at least ten fish were 1 in 1.
That's just not cricket...

·
Registered
156 Posts
Richard III

I fished with a guide about five year ago, I think it was with the guide from JumpTheBones. I was looking through my business cards and came accross "Fly Bridge Tackle" - Robert W. Rego. He had/has a fishing shop (might have been the only one in the Island) on 19 Reid Street, it was up the hill from the main street in Hamilton (441) 295-1845. He could put you in touch with a guide. At the time he said that their was only one or two "guides" on the island. The guide I used picked me up at the dock of my hotel in a flats boat. It was a nice trip, not many fish, but it was nice to be on the water.

Good luck

brad

·
Registered
11,236 Posts
I rented a boat there when we pulled into port and fished the bay there. It was fun and alot of small toothy fish. There were also sharks on the beach that guys were fishin for I'll bet you can get one on a fly they were thick just outside the breakers.

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
BBuzzie & Richard Welcome to the board. Richard you have mail-soon. Ron

1 - 10 of 10 Posts