BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who don't remember the days before all of the rediculous regulations. The best back bay fluke fishing of the year will occur over the next month on the edges of the mud flats on sunny warm days. Mid to late march and early april were always my favorite time to target big back bay flounder. Its only a memory now.:(

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
You can still fish for them..just c&r only....I plan on going out and tagging some of those bigger fish if the striper fishing doesn't pick up...

·
Registered
188 Posts
The best back bay fluke fishing of the year will occur over the next month on the edges of the mud flats on sunny warm days. Mid to late march and early april were always my favorite time to target big back bay flounder.
Amazing the difference between North NJ and South NJ when it comes to this early season vs late season issue. You guys were getting fluke in March? man....

How is the fall fishing in the backbays? Seems like North NJ best time was the fall

·
Registered
233 Posts
For those who don't remember the days before all of the rediculous regulations. The best back bay fluke fishing of the year will occur over the next month on the edges of the mud flats on sunny warm days. Mid to late march and early april were always my favorite time to target big back bay flounder. Its only a memory now.:(
yeah I used to get the monsters early on. By May its much harder to find the big boys with any consistancy(in the bay)

·
Registered
4,786 Posts
Don't even remind me:(Not that you have to:mad::mad:
Back bay fluke fishing to me used to be : late March(on the best weather winters til early July) Look what they've created now:thumbsdown::nuts::thumbsdown:

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Im pretty sure its illegal to target them out of season.
That is not true at all, that is a common misconception about many species which I assume arrises from the striper regs. It is a depressing proposition though.

RyanF

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The beauty of March fluking in Cape May County is that if you know where to go and when to be there you will find good concentrations of big fish. You want the slight drop offs on the edges of the largest flats. The spring sun warms the water on these big flats and there you have it. Here in Ocean City the early hotspot in March was always the stretch of water between Tennasee Ave and All Seasons. Huge mud-flat draining into the channel.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
The beauty of March fluking in Cape May County is that if you know where to go and when to be there you will find good concentrations of big fish. You want the slight drop offs on the edges of the largest flats. The spring sun warms the water on these big flats and there you have it. Here in Ocean City the early hotspot in March was always the stretch of water between Tennasee Ave and All Seasons. Huge mud-flat draining into the channel.
Yep:thumbsup: I know a perfect spot just like that...now I have to make the decision to go for stripers or try for monster flatties...

·
Registered
62,417 Posts
I think he is talking about flounder in the post and the replies are about fluke I am sooo confused.
Nope, not referring to to Winter Flounder. They're talking about Fluke, or Summer Flounder. In April. ABSOLUTELY.

Was only about 5 or 6 years ago that you not only could catch them in April, but it was also legal to KEEP them as well.

·
Banned
542 Posts
I would like to see someone catch a summer flounder before the end of March this year. Lets have a flounder tournament C&R.. A picture of the flounder must be posted the day of the catch.
Winner gets bragging rights. March 15- May 15 18" fish.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.