BASS BARN banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
seems like every two years im replacing batteries. this is with excellent care over the winter on a trickle charge once a month. i know i have a high load demand. i use interstate deep and cranking. whats your favorite brand.

·
Registered
4,298 Posts
Two years out of a battery? Sound like possibly a charging problem? I got 6years out of my last my last two sets of Dekas and they were still not causing me any problems. All I did was disconnect in the fall and make sure they were fully charged. Then topped them off before relunch in spring.
seems like every two years im replacing batteries. this is with excellent care over the winter on a trickle charge once a month. i know i have a high load demand. i use interstate deep and cranking. whats your favorite brand.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Don't use a trickle charger. Buy a float charger instead. It monitors a battery electronically as to it's condition and does not charge if it does not need it.

·
Banned
3,874 Posts
I have great luck with interstates :huh:

5 seasons and counting on my current one.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no i dont keep them on a trickle charge all month. once a month light goes orange few hrs later green done. water levels are fine if so distilled only. just wondering if anyone liked another brand all i ever bought was Interstate for the boats and dekka for the jet skis. most likely just need to split the load up.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Get yourself a good three step charger. Also make sure it allows you to desulfate the batteries. I bring mine up to a full charge when I lay up. Then I hook up my float charger. It charges between 1 to 2 amps. I usually put it on one amp. It turns off when it is charged and on when it drops. Then in the spring, I desulfate the batteries. Mine were put in in 2008 and still cranking strong.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Batteries

Sears Marine Batteries:
Four to five years of life
Left outdoors, connected and in the boat all winter (with the battery selector switch on "OFF"...and NO charger use)
Half the cost of high end brands

GOA ;)

·
Registered
11,868 Posts
Cheap Walmart DP batteries give me 5 years easy....AC Delco twice that, but I rarely buy them anymore as I usually sell the boats before they die.

·
Registered
10,008 Posts
On the Hull web site, some claim odyssey marine batteries are tops..but that the sears die hard comes from same factory and is essentially same thing.

Myself, I've has good luck with Interstates

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
First, you need to buy a fresh batt. That means knowing how the read the date code so you know when the batt was made by month. Never buy a batt more than 3 months old. After that too many out there run their batt switch on "BOTH" or "1 + 2"... If one batt is fully charged and the other at 70% the voltage regulator in your engine(s) will read an average between the two batts. It will over charge the batt that has it full charge. Over charging a batt is just as bad as leaving them sit dead over a winter.

Always set your batt switch to either 1 or 2, never "both" unless you need both batts to start your engine. Once the engine is running then switch to either 1 or 2, but never go past "OFF" on your batt switch with the engine running. It will blow the charging diodes in the voltage reg on your engine.

Too keep both batts charged run half your day on number one and the other half of the day on number two batt.. Or odd dates of the month on number 1 and even days of the month on number two batt. Whatever works for you.

This is a big reason why so many only see a year or 2 out of batts.

·
Registered
5,862 Posts
Two years out of a battery? Sound like possibly a charging problem? I got 6years out of my last my last two sets of Dekas and they were still not causing me any problems. All I did was disconnect in the fall and make sure they were fully charged. Then topped them off before relunch in spring.

same here. When i replace my current batteries they will be Dekas again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.