BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I currently have 6'6" cape fear rods with rollers and want to switch over. I know there are a lot of rod builders on the board and we can always meet at the boat. I'm looking for 6 new rods with a nice custom wrap. I would love to have them done with cape fear blanks if there any around

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
George,

Don't know about the Cape Fear blanks..

I got a few rods from Jay Weinberg (Bullseye rods) and just tried them down in NC. Can't say enough good about them.

I turned down the painted blank option, but I know it's available.

·
Registered
8,254 Posts
Olivia Grace said:
I currently have 6'6" cape fear rods with rollers and want to switch over. I know there are a lot of rod builders on the board and we can always meet at the boat. I'm looking for 6 new rods with a nice custom wrap. I would love to have them done with cape fear blanks if there any around
cape fear are hard to get since they went out of business,
every once in a while i see some being sold, not very often

i know we have talked customs before,,if still interested, stop by or give me a call.
we are using some of the new blanks . the tuna guys on the board here LOVE THEM:D

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Bullseye or JPR will set you up good. You are making the right choice going custom. What will a Cape Fear blank do that a Calstar wont? Or, if you are spending $100 or more on the blank can anyone on this site verify that its the way to go ? I build Calstars, never had one brought back broken, but nearly everyone saying they love the rods. 6 rods are going to cost a lot of jing, ask around, see who's name comes up. There's pictures on the front page of my site. Kevin Bogan

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
george

i am doing some rods painted with "snow white" awlgrip that will be finished in less than 2 weeks. why dont you hang out for a little bit and i can show you them when they are finished. they are going to be nasty.

jay

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
Jay Weinberg said:
george

i am doing some rods painted with "snow white" awlgrip that will be finished in less than 2 weeks. why dont you hang out for a little bit and i can show you them when they are finished. they are going to be nasty.

jay

George My Bullseyes are the $hit !!!!! I don't know about the others I can only say that I put the two fishpicker custom crankers straight through hell and they laughed at everything I served up to them. I tried to destroy them and couldn't.

BTW Thank you !!!!

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Fishpicker said:
George My Bullseyes are the $hit !!!!! I don't know about the others I can only say that I put the two fishpicker custom crankers straight through hell and they laughed at everything I served up to them. I tried to destroy them and couldn't.

BTW Thank you !!!!
thanks marty. i am still waiting on the invite to see them in action! you only have the 130's. we can make thicker ones (unlimited) if you need more in the future!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Having over a dozen of Kevin Bogan's rods - I think you would be making a mistake if you don't visit his shop and have him design what you want. If it can be made - Kevin can do it.

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
Big fan of Bogans rods.

Im sure all the barn sponsors have great rods.

I started switching last year. (production to custom) - now whenever I need a new rod I call Kevin!

·
Registered
395 Posts
I'am sure the other custom rod builders make a quilty rod I've been using
Kevins custom rods since early 80's buy far the best I've come acrossed

·
Registered
11,236 Posts
He's not speaing plain english :D He would like 6 WHITE MARLIN rods. :D :D But if I am wrong and he wants white rods I will dig out my 6 Penn Long Beaches. :D

·
Registered
6,704 Posts
I bet You could catch more on your long beaches
Put those old little level winds You have on them:D

·
Registered
395 Posts
THECHUMSTAIN said:
He's not speaing plain english :D He would like 6 WHITE MARLIN rods. :D :D But if I am wrong and he wants white rods I will dig out my 6 Penn Long Beaches. :D
then why not ask for 6 Dink outfits :D

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Is anyone going to offer George more than a fifth-grade sales pitch on why they are the best builder?

No one has asked how light he likes the tips to be, if he'll be fishing braid or mono or if he has a blank preference.

George: Are you using the standard cams in the Torsas or the White Marlin special cams?

·
Registered
8,254 Posts
i wont say i am the best builder, but i know i have built alot of rods for barn guys, and they have caught some nice fish with them
i have even taught alot of barn guys to build their rods
the OTI (offshore tackle International) company owners commissioned rods from me for their new blanks
there will be A JPR GUSA DRAGON ROD with AA Titanium frame roller guides at the West coast rodbuilding show
my rods were with team TYMAN last year when they won ASA
i have been designing and building rod long enought to know what works for different fish and different styles of fishing
i have worked with GUSA and designed a great tuna jigging blanks
i hope to have a face to face talk with goerge, and then he can decide after talking to a Rodbuilder and designer. if i am the person he want to build his rods...or he may go with another QUALIFIED rod buillder..its his choice.
but the advise and experience he will get from me, will be top notch

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Redhead, I thought he asked a pretty fair question. To suggest that the respondants can only approach a fifth grade level for advise I believe to be a negative comment that you should consider retracting. Why not offer the man some advise instead of answering a question with a question, "Which Cams?". You no doubt have a reason, and thats why I suggested a custom builder. Heres why, most factory rods are designed by guys who wear fancy fishing clothes that look cool, truth is most of these guys couldnt catch a cold in a snowstorm. A custom builder is almost always an avid fisherman who will ask the right questions so that the right rods are built. I mentioned my competition first, sorry I left out Weston rods. Sure I would like to sell him or anyone rods, thats why I suggested that he seek references, any one spending a couple thousand dollars should. The worst thing that could happen with a custom builder is that you are likely to get something you like, and something that will last.
Factory rods? They are a joke on their best day. Show me one, I'll show you why. I am sure your comments were intended to enlighten, so consider mine to be constructive as well. Kevin Bogan

·
Registered
31,378 Posts
THECHUMSTAIN said:
In that case you won't have to paint the Calstar or Seeker blank :D

1 - 20 of 33 Posts