BASS BARN banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jumping on the "marlin bandwagon" here and was curious if anyone had recommendations on what to purchase regarding a good dredge that is rigged entirely with artificials and ready for use right out of the bucket? I know rigging one w/ meat is preferable but has anyone had success on a regular basis with a pre-rigged dredge w/ plastics?

·
Registered
591 Posts
Before you go out and buy what is one of the most expensive yet productive teasers you could have in your spread, there are a whole lot of questions that have to be answered first.

The size boat, speed, trolling natural or artificial baits, crew experience, position (Cleat or Rigger), dedicated dredge rod and so on to name just a few.

Just any dredge will not be as effective for you as one that was given some thought before buying. There are many dredges on the market to choose from and whether or not you use one of ours or another they will difinitely produce for you.

Call or stop by and we can help you decide.

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
Jumping on the "marlin bandwagon" here and was curious if anyone had recommendations on what to purchase regarding a good dredge that is rigged entirely with artificials and ready for use right out of the bucket? I know rigging one w/ meat is preferable but has anyone had success on a regular basis with a pre-rigged dredge w/ plastics?

Williamson, 3D holographic mullet dredge.... Got 2 ready to go ready when you are!!!!:wave::wave: Hope all is well Brian, talk to you soon. Also give Chuck a call...he won't steer you wrong!!! :D:D:D Capt Rob

·
Registered
4,929 Posts
Go get yourself a $15.00 Zing Super Magnum 6 arm dredge and load it up with 10 inch black rubber mullets. You will save yourself a fortune and get the same results. IMO all those fancy fold up dredges are a waste of money. If you pull them enough you will lose 1 or have an arm snap off and you can buy 10 of the cheap ones for the price of 1 of the fancy fold up ones. If you realy want to get the maximum performance out of your dredges natural baits are the only way to go.

·
Banned
2,659 Posts
we use the tournament cable bucket dredges with a larger 24" deredge in front of it with a large dredge weight, so we end up with 4 bars in a row, we use the holographic baits, they used to be made by mojo, i have had the same ones for 5 years, i have lost an entire dredge before and it does sting a little when that happens, we tie ours of to the cleats because we are usually in a c/c sometimes we will run a dredge off both cleats and have a mullet chain on both sides short off the rigger cause they are easy to get in, the dredges are heavy its just like anything else everyone has there own way to do it it is preety neat when you are sitting there watching the baits and have a white come up right behind the boat on a drdge and hit the bait right behind them,,,good luck:)

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
We ran the 36" tournament cable hoo dredge from 1 corner and a mullet dredge from baitmasters on the other. All the fish came up on/stayed with the TC dredge, now we pull 2 of them.

I have to say I spent a lot of cabbage on the bucket teaser and it never looked right in the water. It stays in the bucket.

All dredges are pulled with a downriger just below the surface and in clean water.

·
Registered
146 Posts
we use the tournament cable bucket dredges with a larger 24" deredge in front of it with a large dredge weight, so we end up with 4 bars in a row, we use the holographic baits, they used to be made by mojo, i have had the same ones for 5 years, i have lost an entire dredge before and it does sting a little when that happens, we tie ours of to the cleats because we are usually in a c/c sometimes we will run a dredge off both cleats and have a mullet chain on both sides short off the rigger cause they are easy to get in, the dredges are heavy its just like anything else everyone has there own way to do it it is preety neat when you are sitting there watching the baits and have a white come up right behind the boat on a drdge and hit the bait right behind them,,,good luck:)
What kind of line do you use to pull dredge off the cleat?

·
Registered
591 Posts
If you're pulling the Dredge from a cleat we suggest Poly covered SS Cable 480lb test or 1,900lb test Dyneema. Both are very strong and easy to handle and stow.

400lb mono is fine but as we all know, Dredges are expensive and you're more apt to lose one to mono than the other two suggestion.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I agree with Chuck. Just wait until a pack of Wahoo charge through your dredge. One will get your mono tow line for sure.

Wahoo also chewed up most of the plastic streamers running behind our Tournament Cable Dredge. They must be Chuck Richardson's favorite species since he sells so many replacement streamers due to Wahoo.

I also would NOT use any plastic bait on your dredge that has a paddle tail. I have found that none of the tails hold up to being trolled at Billfish speeds. They go whap-whap-whap for a half hour and then you notice the tails are gone. They broke off. That is not the way any natural bait swims either. The best plastic Ballyhoo swim just like a real one.

Our best White Marlin speed when we fished a center console was 4.3 knots. In our 41 footer, our best White Marlin speed is a good bit faster but the baits ride the same as they did behind the smaller boat.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Spent the first year pulling a Tournament Cable bucket dredge w/ holographic hoos in one corner and a medium bowling pin teaser in the other. Usually pulled split bill hoos on the flats just behind. The dredge outfished the pins 7 to 1. Species varied:whites, tuna,dolphin and wahoo.

The next year we upgraded the pins to a folding 24" TC dredge w/ same baits as the bucket, evened out the odds on the flat lines....

Been pulling 2 dredges ever since. Most whites have risen on the dredge but fade back to my short riggers for the bite. And those are the fish we can see from the deck, God knows what is really back there!

The only times we give up on the dredge, is when a mad dog tuna bite gets rolling, and we just do not have the time to get out the whole spread before the next fish. (History)

We run them from the cleats, using Chuck's vinyl coated wire and the Mann 50 diving plug to get them down. I also like the way the plug slowly moves the bait ball left to right, like the school is evading a predator.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I also would NOT use any plastic bait on your dredge that has a paddle tail. I have found that none of the tails hold up to being trolled at Billfish speeds. They go whap-whap-whap for a half hour and then you notice the tails are gone. They broke off. That is not the way any natural bait swims either. The best plastic Ballyhoo swim just like a real one. quote]

I agree with the advice that Andy offered. Black rubber Mullet work. I prefer Black Mullet with a silver glitter on the underside. That may be just because that's the color combo that I have used the most.

As far as blowing the tails off rubber baits, all you have to do is cut a notch in the tail. That will prevent blowing tails off rubber dredge baits...pretty easy

Nothing replaces the real thing as mentioned by everyone else, but rigging an all natural Ballyhoo dredge is somewhat affordable. Mullet, if taken care of, can be run on more than one trip. Just be sure to salt them good, especially in and around the split tail.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I've known Chuck for a while now and I've been using his dredges for a few years. The dredge bars he sells are top notch. I've been fishing his bars for six years now and none of them have bent, corroded, or failed in any way. I run a variety of different setups off the same bars from fresh ballyhoo to rubber baits to fresh mullet depending on where I'm fishing and how much time I have. Sure, fresh mullet out fish everything but that doesn't stop artificials from raising fish.

Not caring for the rubber baits or the strip teasers I was fortunate enough to get my hands on TC's new 3D stick baits. They look awesome in the water and they certainly raise fish! I've been able to fish them up here in the NJ canyons and we've caught white marlin, yellowfins, dolphin, you name it. Then I was fortunate enough to take it down to Florida and we've caught the hell out of the Sailfish and every other critter that swims down there. I've never had so many flat line bites. Best advice is to go to his store and look around. When it comes to dredges you can't go wrong with TC whether you're buying a bucket dredge or rigging your own.

·
Registered
199 Posts
i like dragging a set of 5 squids off the teaser reels on both sides pink on one side and green on the other and a double dredge rigged with arti ballyhoo and a double dredge on the other side with black mullet both pulled with down riggers.. with big chuggers on the back end of the dredges... have had alot of success especially on the squids

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
T/C for Sure

Chuck from Tournament Cable can show you a bunch of different set ups depending what you are running. One thing I can honestly say about Chuck is truely passionate about his tackle. He uses all the best available resources and has a ton of knowledge in the field.
The most important thing to know about Chuck is there is no pressure to buy anything. He will show you what he has and what he uses. If you feel that his stuff is right for you then get if not, look around and just talk fishing:). I can say one thing I have been using his stuff for years and it is absolute QUALITY:thumbsup: If something gets chaffed, tangled or messed up Chuck stands behind his products. He puts the customer first and not many places do that. Stop by and check out the open house on Saturday, you will not be dissapointed:D

·
Registered
4,929 Posts
If your serious about targeting whites do not pull your dredge from a cable tow line. The cable creates a hum in the water and can turn fish away from your boat. If you walk around the docks at any of the white marlin tournaments you will notice 99 percent of the crews are pulling them from reels spooled with mono or braided line. It's the small attention to detail that makes the differance from raising 1 white a day or multiple whites a day.

·
Registered
146 Posts
If you're pulling the Dredge from a cleat we suggest Poly covered SS Cable 480lb test or 1,900lb test Dyneema. Both are very strong and easy to handle and stow.

400lb mono is fine but as we all know, Dredges are expensive and you're more apt to lose one to mono than the other two suggestion.
I would like to get together with you when the canyon season nears closer. The boss man wants to catch some billfish this year.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.