BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spring is here and I've gotten off my duff and headed to the gym daily to work on my fitness. Been doing heavy cardio to work on endurance and fat burn, have also worked on quads and glutes. I know I've seen some good workouts for fishing, anyone know where to find them???

·
Registered
489 Posts
I did the p90x dvds for 3 months leading up to my 11 day trip on the royal star. it worked big time. You are supposed to do about an hour a day 6 days a week, I did about 5 days a week. I was not sore and no where near crippled in 9 days of straight yankin and crankin on many fish in the 90-150lb range! The key is not overlooking core muscles, abs and lower back. p90x will beat you up, but it really works

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Spring is here and I've gotten off my duff and headed to the gym daily to work on my fitness. Been doing heavy cardio to work on endurance and fat burn, have also worked on quads and glutes. I know I've seen some good workouts for fishing, anyone know where to find them???
the best i have found is starting with a beer or a good drink and keep lefting thenm till arms are built up :D:D:D:thumbsup::thumbsup::eek:

·
Registered
8,051 Posts
You have to focus and core training excersices, look some of those up. Also, all other excersices are worth as well. It is great that your looking at it the way you are. The better shape you are in the more you will enjoy the trip. It is the reason I can captain and fish an excepionally long time.

We all know what hurts at the end of the day, make it stronger.
Lower back
FOREARMS
biceps
Feets (do squats and calf raises)

I can't list all the excersices and am late for the gym now. However, don't focus on any one muscle group complete the package, make your core stronger and you'll have more fun.

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
Squats, squats and more squats. Nothing better for your core IF you do them right. Very few people go low enough. Go light on the weight and get your *** down. Also remember as you come up throw your hips forward and drive up, this will keep you from using your back too much.

·
Registered
20,270 Posts
You're gonna laugh... but I am going to tell you the anwer to your question, and you don't even have to break a sweat doing it...

Pilates..... a 100% low impact core strength building program.

I know... I must be kidding right??? Nope, my wife talked me into going with her once about a month ago, and now I am totally hooked.

Do your cardio at the gym, but find a Pilates on the Fly class to get in... the bonus is you get to stare at very hot women, in very tight clothes, while your abs are getting ripped to the max..... You can't believe what these instructors can do to your core. They don't miss one single muscle in your body and they isolate them without killing you.

If you think its a joke, wait until you see what you feel like the day after.....

You might even get an invite to Starbucks afterward ;)

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
I agree with the P90x recommendation.

It is everything that everyone else said - in one program.

It has different workouts for every part of the body - SEVERAL core (very core forused) excercises and plenty of Cardio -

It also incorporates Yoga, Plyometrics, and seperate stretching modules.

It is not easy - but you will be a different person in 90 days.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Do a total body work out focusing each day on a seperate muscle group, and rotate. Arms, shoulders, chest, back, and legs. And do cardio a few times a week as well. I've been working out steady again for 6 months , and I just went jigging tuna up to 200 lbs, and the only thing that was a little sore was my left shoulder.I think the lower back, and forearm excercises really helped out. Especially the good mornings. Start out light with them because they leave your back exposed. I've gotten all my excercises from the Arnolds Encyclopedia of modern body building.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the input!!!! Already done the yoga/pilates deal. Get in a class with the right looking women and it'll be your new favorite thing to do. No shame there!!!

I wish I could just fight huge tuna all day....

·
Registered
726 Posts
Squats, squats and more squats. Nothing better for your core IF you do them right. Very few people go low enough. Go light on the weight and get your *** down. Also remember as you come up throw your hips forward and drive up, this will keep you from using your back too much.
+1 its in the legs. Bend your knees while leaning back -- the rod goes up. straighten your knees and lean forward --the rod goes down. Your left arm only needs to guide the rod.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
What ever you do ,do it at least 3 times a week.I'm 72 & caught a 125 pounder last summer.I usually work out at home 3 to 5 days a week on a stair climber , a strider , some back strengthening exercises (from a doctor),Very lightweight lifting(too much muscle drains oxygen ) maybe half hour in the morning. good luck.

·
Registered
8,051 Posts
This is the the thing with core training. To really strengthen your core you need to excercise a long time, especially if you were previously a couch tater. What I am saying is start early. Train with free weights and forget machines. Squats are the strongmans must have no doubt. However, if you got a bad knee or one going and your new to training forget squats. Do lunges instead.

Here's the round about way I do it. Note: my days of hanging and banging are done. I superset (0 rest beween sets and keep my heart rate in the 150 range for about an hour =/- a day)I still do heavy lifting but do it very quickly. We are all different and our bodies respond differently. Training is like fishing for me, always have done it therfore I know hart works for me.

I train about everyday cause the way I see it that's the way our bodies were meant to go.

Day 1 back and triceps.
Seated rows
Close grip bench
Standing rows
tricep pushdowns
Lat pulldowns
one arm kickbacks
hyperextensions
someother weird isolating tricel move
core reaches
Sprint

day 2 chest and biceps
Dumbell flat bench
dumbell curls
inclince dunbbells
one are iso curls focusing on forearm
decline bench
weird isloating bicep move
flys
forarms

day3 Legs shoulders
squats
shoulder press
lunges
lateral raise
side steps
front raise
leg extensions
backward row
leg curl
neck extensions

day4 do it again, you can sleep whenyour dead! :)

Mosr everything is 3 to 4 sets and fast and heavy, I hate running and get my cardio here.

Do anything but be consistent. It will make you a better fishermen cause it will make things easier and less tiresome. Fact is, most can not fish enough to get the "training"they need. That is why so many who spent many years weekend warrioring it are now hurting IMHO, it just wasn't standard to prepare. Sitting in an office or truck all day and then getting beat up on the weekend, something is going to give.

But remember core takes consistentcy and time. But anything, anyday is better then nothing.

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
Swim - bike - run
Or just train for an ironman:D
I do very little weights
Whole body once a week
1 set of 40 per exercise
all cables
Include wood chop and reverse wood chop
I work a lot on balance
Plank position
Boat positionfor abs
Wide stance squats
Bosu ball squats with weights(incredible)
Prayer position
I do a lot of power running, bounding, long hops and
there is no fitness like a triathlete

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.