BASS BARN banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, new to the fly fishing just learning..the question..What would be the 3-5 best all round flies(sizes and colors and patterns if possible) to keep in the box. Any Tips on fnding and catching on the fly for a beginner would be greatly appreciated..

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Pete,
First of all, welcome to the barn..and to fly fishing...
Your question is a bit "loaded", that is, it 's answer depend on where I would be fishing.
Ocean city, backwater, Stripers??
#1 a Banger or Popper in yellow( dawn and dusk)
#2 Deceiver Green and white daytime or black at night or dark days.
#3 Jiggy or Clouser for when you need to get down a bit and the grass is not to bad...

Hope this helps...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Frank..I will be fishing the ocean city area (backwater and every where else) and would love to catch some bass on the fly but the whole game is a little new to me..I appreciate you response.

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
Pete1, Frank gave you a great answer. I would also add a black popper and black deceiver for night time if the water is clear. If muddy or cloudy the Chartreuse color works great.

Good luck hope you have great sucess.

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Pete What Frank & Ray said to which I will add Add water to any fly. Good luck & welcome. If you have conventional experiance in the back waters, mostly the same areas work with the fly. Welcome & I hope to read some fine reports from you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Those mentioned are good, but one pattern that has worked well for me, and is a lot easier to cast than a popper, is a Gurgler. My biggest striper came on a small black Gurgler.

[ 10-05-2005, 12:41 AM: Message edited by: techdiver ]

·
Registered
71 Posts
Right on with the recommendations given here. My one fly that I never leave home without is an all white deceiver in sizes 2 thru 5/0. It covers all the baitfish profiles and also gives a good squid imitation if fished like the natural. Welcome to the board.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I'm not on the level with these other guys but I'll throw my support toward a yellow and red popper. I've caught most of my striper on this at dusk. It's easy to toss and easy to retrieve. Being able to see the fly the entire time really helps you to get a sense of what the fish are looking for.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I have been playing with a fly rod for the last year or two. Have had limited success, but feel I still struggle a little at times with casting. Using a 9 wt with a medium seeking line, what would would be considered a reasonable casting distance in a light wind? Just trying to gauge if I am trying to cast to far or not.

Thanks,

Ted K.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Sorry, meant to add how a clouser in green/white got me a nice 30 inch bass off of LBI on one of my first attempts, so it is one my must haves.

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
Deceievers, Clousers.

and anything Bob Pop or Steve Farrar created

[ 10-08-2005, 10:35 AM: Message edited by: Brian E. Mullaney ]

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
Well, it appears that Saltwater Fly fishing is not the rocket science that freshwater is. Everyone has their favorite flies and just about every type and color will do the job. I believe that with saltwater fish all you need is a fly close to the size of what they are feeding on and if you put it in front of them they will hit it.

I think we are pretty lucky. I talk to a lot of fresh water trout guys while they are on my boat and the stories they tell me about how finicky trout are in the clear streams and what they have to do to catch a trout that they have been watching eye their fly. We have it pretty good.

Our biggest problem is our fish are mobile and do not hold in a good spot and what is a good spot on one tide is not a good spot on the reverse tide. Our fish prowl and go where ever the bait is, so our biggest challenge is finding a spot where the fish might me on a given tide. Once we find the spot getting them to hit is a little easier with different types and color taking fish at the same spot.

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
Others mentioned are good, this is one of my fav's.
Enrico Puglasi Mullet Bronze on 2/0

Russ

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
Here is a fly that was very effective last fall. It caught fish after fish until the I put the boat away and there was only silver left in it. I was sort of like a personal challenge to see just how many fish it would catch. Last year it had soft body head. This year he put a clear plastic cone over the head. I will have to see if it does the job or whether I have to make an adjustment.

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
Originally posted by CapeMayRay:
Well, it appears that Saltwater Fly fishing is not the rocket science that freshwater is. Everyone has their favorite flies and just about every type and color will do the job. I believe that with saltwater fish all you need is a fly close to the size of what they are feeding on and if you put it in front of them they will hit it.

I think we are pretty lucky. I talk to a lot of fresh water trout guys while they are on my boat and the stories they tell me about how finicky trout are in the clear streams and what they have to do to catch a trout that they have been watching eye their fly. We have it pretty good.

Our biggest problem is our fish are mobile and do not hold in a good spot and what is a good spot on one tide is not a good spot on the reverse tide. Our fish prowl and go where ever the bait is, so our biggest challenge is finding a spot where the fish might me on a given tide. Once we find the spot getting them to hit is a little easier with different types and color taking fish at the same spot.
I agree Ray - PROFILE is the key.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Hey Ray

Dont forget about the warm water fisherman who dabble in salt. For them in fresh its about big, fun patterns with noise, profile and movement, one of the reasons why I love salt.

Although I have to say, the largemouth and smallmouth can move only so much in my local waters, so I tend to find them

·
Registered
13,628 Posts
can anyone say gurgler? I have to admit I love topwater fishing whenever possible over underwater streamers.

but catching is more important than not, so whatever works

1 - 18 of 18 Posts