BASS BARN banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Furuno 1650DGPS is 11 years old. I am looking for a stand alone GPS graphplotter only. What are my options when it's replace time?

It seems most advertised units are combo units...and that only garmin and raymarine are getting all the press.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Just my two cents worth, but I like the Garmin product, have a older 178C on my boat, yes it is a combo unit but when it was bought also needed a new depthfinder. The Garmin product is user friendly, not a hole mess of buttons to get to waypoints and things like that. Garmin does have standalone units without the depthfinders. Raymarine however does not. Good luck in your search for you new gps.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
damn.... i have the same unit you do. cant believe its that old already... time flies. personally, i'd bithe the bullet and get a new Furuno MFD, and just hook it up for GPS right now... that way, if the FF bites the dust in the future, youve got a plug and play setup ready to go.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Northstar 961XD (DGPS)

The best unit out there is no longer available (except on eBay). Made by Northstar in the late 90's and early 2000's. Retail price was about $10k back then. Runs on a Pentium based desktop computer (not practical for CCs) and has a 10.4" sunlight readable display. Displays raster scan copies of real NOAA paper charts with 1 meter accurracy. Stores 1000's of waypoints and 1000's of charts on its harddrive, and backs up waypoint database on floppy disks. While not networked like todays units, the multiple NEMA outputs will interface with an autopilot, radar, epirb, DSC VHF, second station repeater, etc. The same depthsounder used by newer Northstar 6000 series units can also be hooked up to the 961.

Just my 2 cents. Maybe I'm an old fart, but I learned how to navigate using paper charts without Loran or GPS, and I still like looking at the real thing, not some software manufacturer's idea of what things should look like.

·
Registered
10,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
damn.... i have the same unit you do. cant believe its that old already... time flies. personally, i'd bithe the bullet and get a new Furuno MFD, and just hook it up for GPS right now... that way, if the FF bites the dust in the future, youve got a plug and play setup ready to go.

That looks great, more then I want to spend, but that's exactly why I am asking...never has seen that unit. As for hooking it up now, before my older unit dumps on me...another good idea. I am going to get the #'s all pulled so I have them. It would be 15 years worth of numbers lost if I lose that data base.

·
Registered
10,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm looking for a new gps as well. I really like the Sitex 10.4 and the garmin 4208. I'm leaning towards the sitex.

Sitex looks like an all in one? I just want GPS...so I can have seperate screens and do not have to be 'blind' or have to scroll through screens to see. I prefer each unit specifically doig it's task. Radar for radar, sounder for the bottom and fish, gps for waypoints and headings.

I've seen people screwing with their machines in tight situtaions....and it really put me off.

Now that Garmin looks more like what I am asking for

·
Registered
949 Posts
Im not a fan of multi function units either. It seems that most have the ability to add radar and/or sonar. Although, the Sitex with the radar overlay on the gps screen may change my opinion a little. That Garmin sure does look good though! The screen on the sitex is huge which appeals to me mounted up under the hard top.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts

Sitex looks like an all in one? I just want GPS...so I can have seperate screens and do not have to be 'blind' or have to scroll through screens to see. I prefer each unit specifically doig it's task. Radar for radar, sounder for the bottom and fish, gps for waypoints and headings.

I've seen people screwing with their machines in tight situtaions....and it really put me off.

This is the Garmin unit i'm getting, as soon as i pay off some of the other toys.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts

Every manufacturer including Gramin makes either a multi funcition or an expandable GPS set up. If you buy add ons the garmin you like can also be your fish finder, and your radar display. It all depends how you configure you set up. You can also have multiple screens all networked together. Networkability is big right now.

I'm currently shopping for a good all around GPS/fishfinder unit myself.

·
Registered
15,362 Posts
Every manufacturer including Gramin makes either a multi funcition or an expandable GPS set up. If you buy add ons that garmin can also be your fish finder, and your radar display, it all depends how you configure you set up. You can also have multiple screens all networked together. Networkability is big right now.

I'm currently shopping for a good all around GPS/fishfinder unit myself.
I have a Stand alone Furuno unit in the house. But in the Cockpit I have a 540 Garmin FF/GPS...it works awesome!

·
Registered
10,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So the Garmin has a built in chip?

I like that all my handheld way points are in garmin format on my laptop, and SawBlade says he may be able to pull all my Furuno numbers into the same format.

Rather then pay a few hundred to update my battery in my furuno, I may just copy the waypoints and put them into a new garmin before the season starts...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.