BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah, Jersey is a funny state. If you had to go for yellowfin and had the state ports and captains to choose from, where would you leave from? Hudson the best? All world captains? What month are they running bigger? Just thinking. Probably can't afford it, but what the hey

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
It really depends on the season, water, etc. I've had good size yellowfin over 50 in June. There's been some years where they're all rats early in the season. If I had to pick your best time and port?

- Early to mid July
- Squan down to LEI

Those inlets have reasonable access to every canyon from Hudson to Wilmington

Going by last year the southern canyons had mostly rats with the odd 100 lb Allison mixed in (go figure). Hudson, Toms, Lindenkohl, and Spencer had some larger fish.

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
You realize these questions could cause a battle royal on bass barn!

Best Port : Squan - BI
Best Captain: Me
Best Canyon: I wish I had a crystal ball canyon.
Best month : Sept / Oct for YF.
All world Captain: I vote for James Big Jay.

Let the games begin. .

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Hard to beat the year in year in & year out results that the Canyon Runner puts up

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
U wanna pay and u have a boat. Ill put u on them. But my pc responce is it depends on the water and where it is for it to work out right.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Last year Id vote for CApe May because the southern bites was much better than up north most of the time... Cape May if I had to pick blind.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Best Captain: Me
Best Canyon: I wish I had a crystal ball canyon.
Best month : Sept / Oct for YF.
All world Captain: I vote for James Big Jay.

Let the games begin. .
Awww thanks buddy lol

Everybody talks about the Canyom Runner.
where did he fish last yr.?
out of Cape May.
Canyon Runner for sure. Cape May...sorry...disagree. The Washington was either rat yellows around 25-30 lbs. or bigeye. Now if OP said "Where would the best place to catch a bigeye be?" Then i would def have said Cape May and run to the Washington...based on last year.

Last year, for larger yellowfin, was the Hudson down to the Lindy.

·
Registered
9,922 Posts
No tuna are ever caught out of CM...you know why because it is not posted on the Barn. :D

·
Registered
248 Posts
Best Captain: Mark Deblasio CR crew
Best Canyon: Before 2013 Hudson 100 sq
Best month : July /Oct for YF.
All world Captain: Tough one... but this guy brings home more fish than any capt I know

Let the games begin. .

·
Banned
3,874 Posts
LOL this is a funny thread.

To the OP, there is no answer to this. Some years they are north, some years they are south. Last year was a perfect example. I consider myself and everyone else on here that went all the way to the Washington to catch tuna a bit off their rocker LOL, but hey thats where we had to go to catch tuna. I personally like cape may as you can fish way south if need be, but when the hudson is on up north its hard to argue with the results. But in the end, its fishing, and there is no telling where the fish are going to be each season, let alone where the big ones are. FYI if your after big tuna I would recommend you stay on the 30 line and fish for bluefin, you burn alot less fuel that way LOL.

As for captains well as said there is no beating canyon runner...

·
Registered
14,117 Posts
Best NJ port: My friend makes a decent red wine, despite the wet climate.
Best Captain: Kap'n Crunch has been around for 50 years
Best Time to Catch Yellowfin Over 50 lbs: When the run is on.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Honestly no body can predict when 50-60 class yft show up and which port is best. Our best tool for this is real time knowledge and sea temp chart. Eddy predict where the best fishing action is likley to occur and to be honest last year very few 50-60 lbs class yft where caught off nj waters. I caught a few mixed in w big eye tuna of ocmd. But best port is not an issue when targeting pelagics such as tuna, last year cape may was the best off jersey because the fish were down south, 5 years before the hundson was hot w tuna so manasquan was the port to leave from. Canyon runner moves there boats around to set up there anglers w the best possiable bite, hence they migrate w the fish, they are fishing everyday and have topshelf captains and crew and boats. Hooked up II was the high hook last year, catching the most tuna big eyes and yellowfin out of southern cape may, great captains ansd crew as well. bottom line you habe to find a boat that is in the know and will burn the fule to go to where the bite is. In barnagate Huburis and Pez Machine are amongs the best as well first class crew and mates and boats.

F.Stop

1 - 20 of 20 Posts