BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for somthing light and strong that can throw a 4oz plug and bring in a 40+lb striper. Also what is your best set up that you use to throw plugs an handle the big boys.:confused: Any help would be awesome, I will also be up Asbury Park this weekend to check everything out any good suggestions would be great.:)

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I like the surfking series by lamiglas. Great starter rod. I have an 8footer that maybe a bit light for 4oz but they have other models that are more stout. Think I paid around $80 for it. Worth a look

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am still new around here, but I use a Lami XS10MS with a 704Z. I just love that rod. I am looking at a new Super Surf LAMI XS91MS to match with a ZeeBaas for the Fall run.

Asbury Hugh? Take a deep breath once you walk up the ramp, look at the lay out board, and run like hell to the table of the guy who has the plug you want the most. I will be there again this year freezing online as I hear it will be in the frigging 20's. It is well worth the wait. Bring LOTS OF CASH>>>>>>>>>

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Wow,if your a beginner and catching 40 pound + Bass ,good going.I know I already posted this before but I think the Tsunami airwave is the best inexpensive rod around.They're Lightweight and strong and they have a "good" action.A great 9 foot plugging rod for under a hundred bucks.For a few bucks more try the lami surf king.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
henrybasstardo said:
I hear you. The 40lbs laugh at me when swimming by making big splashes just to rub it in.
Ben,I'd be happy even seeing a 40:D

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
Shoot for 2-3 ounce.
more options.
1.5 bucktails work. 4 ounce big plugs work.
you really need more than one rod.
I like the 8 foot UGLY STICK for starters.
Go from there
Experience is key. I have 14 setups. fishing is like golf, sometimes you need driver(heavy surf) and sometimes you need the putter (2lb creek fishin)
And everything in between
tog stick, flounder stick, weakie setup etc.....

What do you want to you do first?

goodnight guys
Bedtime
Work on lures after work tomorrow. Friday after work heading soth east. CU in SIC

Have fun at the shows.

Looking forward to it

CU ther

Cheers

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Be careful with the surfking series, I've heard they have a reputation for breaking.
I absolutely love my Tsunami Airwave. I've got the 9 but they're so light the 10 is still perfectly manageable. As for a reel, a Shimano Spheros will hold up for a while and is priced right. You're looking at $175-200 for that setup.

·
Banned
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanx guys i have caught som 35lbers off the boat but nothing like that in the surf. I just want to know the rod can handle it because you never know whats out there. Yeah henery i think you work with my Uncle Joe Cervonka he gave me some of your big bites i cant wait to try them out this year. How do you do with them from the surf. An im suprised nobody mentioned St.Croix

·
Registered
815 Posts
Aggressor Fishing said:
Thanx guys i have caught som 35lbers off the boat but nothing like that in the surf. I just want to know the rod can handle it because you never know whats out there. Yeah henery i think you work with my Uncle Joe Cervonka he gave me some of your big bites i cant wait to try them out this year. How do you do with them from the surf. An im suprised nobody mentioned St.Croix
Nobody mentioned St. Croix because you said beginner. I would not recomend an expensive rod to a beginner. An Ugly Stick or an Okuma longitude or anything under 80$ with the right balanced reel would be fine for a beginner. If you want a step up up from that you should probably say that. There are very many options out there and the right info is needed to give you a good suggestion:)

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
A good rod that isn't too expensive within the specks your looking for might be a Lami Tri-flex 9'6". After checking out Bunkerfingers pole from fishing with him one day, I fell in love with him, I mean the rod....(lol Keith). Anyways the rod is rated 2-6oz's, but you have to look for the older version, the newer version is a different rating, (2-4 I think). When you look at ratings and you have a specific taget weight in whcih you usually throw, try to have that weight in the middle. For instance, I have a 9ft Lami Inshore Classic, its rated 1-4oz's, but throwing 4oz's is pushing it a bit and 2oz is ideal for this rod. The same with a 1084, rated 1-4, but in no way would you want to throw 4oz's with that rod, it just wouldn't feel right.

The 2-6oz Tri Flex is a hefty stick but the action is still great and its still kinda sensitive for such a strong rod. I use it for strictly plugging and its paired with a 704z. This rod is ideal for the surf or jetty throwing plugs, awesome on the rocks tossing eels, and it can even double as a clam chucker from the sand. A perfect length at 9'6 and very versatile. I do throw 1.5oz plugs on it, its not the best for a lighter plug, but it still does the job, 2.5-4oz's is ideal for this rod, and it has handled 5oz's well too. Then 6 would be pushing it like with most ratings that are not usually true, so stick in the middle like I said above.

P.S. I lost what would of been my 40lb bass on this rod, and for the 15 minutes I had it, it certainly did handle it..:(...

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
In my humble opinion, you have two options when buying surf rods: cheap factory rods or customs. Spending more than $100 or $150 on a factory rod is nuts; when you're in that price range, you should be talking to a custom builder, as a good custom is way better than even the best, most expensive factory rods.

If you're going to go the factory route (which I would suggest; it doesn't make sense to shell out for a custom until you know exactly what you want), then the suggestions above are good. I'd recommend a 9-foot, 2-piece Tica, rated for 1-3 oz., but only because I've used one. The other stuff recommended is probably just as good. Just don't spend more than $100.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
I have been using the 9' tica 1/2 to 3oz paired with a penn 5500ssg. Had this setup for the last 3 yrs and haven't had a problem. The setup cost me less then 200. Now I can't say how well it will handle a 40lber cause I haven't caught one yet.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Aggressor Fishing said:
Looking for somthing light and strong that can throw a 4oz plug and bring in a 40+lb striper. Also what is your best set up that you use to throw plugs an handle the big boys.:)
Lamiglas XSRA104 with a Stradic 5000 spooled with 30# PP... the only way to roll... this isn't a cheap starter set up but for plugging it'll not need to be replaced anytime soon either... this is rated 7/8-3 oz...

my personal plugger/go to rod is a custom AFAW Estuary with a tricked out ABU 6500 CS Ultra Mag... this will handle up to 5oz... again not cheap but will never need a better rod or reel... :cool:

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
Aggressor Fishing said:
Yea that's me I thought I would see you guys today. If you want to start surf fishing I can answer any questions you have. It's late and it was a busy weekend. Talk to you later.

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
Filetme said:
your experience fishing with your old man should explain this for you. Plain and simple.
Yep more money = lighter,better but not necessary to catch fish.

Although Raymond can cast the 12' Ugly stick with 6 ounces and 2 nice hunks of clam would be a bit much after a while. A stiff 9' would be better.

Sorry I missed you guys at Asbury Aggresor Fishing
Like the attitude right for the 40 pounders :D
As long as you pressure the fish the whole time and have the drag set right you can land it.
Rod set up is dependednt on what you can handle physically and economically. No need for a big 12 footer for plugs.

Maybe you can make it down with Ray and Raymond in May sometime. I can show you some things.

A decent 9 foot rod will get you started.

Tica makes a good rod. We have lots of ugly Sticks, Daiwas even no name Dick's stuff plus the expensive stuff. Lamiglass, rainshadow, Rougue, G Loomis.
$100 will get you a good 9' rod. Go to the stores and feel them out. You need Waders too. Use a spinning reel from a boat rod. 5500 or 6500. The rest we can supply you with as far as plugs go.

Welcome to the board Filetme. Lenore's old man came over at 9am for the deer steak. lol
Cheers

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
DJ COAST said:
P.S. I lost what would of been my 40lb bass on this rod, and for the 15 minutes I had it, it certainly did handle it..:(...
You don't need to lie to fit in here....

:D :D :D

Btw I had a quite a few good laughs with Keith listening to that story....:D ;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts