BASS BARN banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Does it make a difference if those tog rigs have the red beads above the hook or not? I could not get a bite on Friday with this tog rig, double hooks with red bead on them...

JackFish56 -- didn't know you were still around, tell "Sal" I said hi... Mike from Livingston a few years back..

·
Registered
241 Posts
For larger fish I would go with a larger owner - substantial hooks and very sharp.

Snapper, I don't think tog care about the red beads - they have pretty small eyes. It sounds like the tog have left the back, though, which is a drag since that is what I was going to do today ...

·
Registered
6,862 Posts
dp

[ 11-27-2005, 10:58 AM: Message edited by: Bay Stalker ]

·
Registered
6,862 Posts
I still like #4 & #3 Virginia Style blue hooks the best do to the longer shank. If you use them make sure your sharpin them befor you fish them. If the gami's had a longer shank the would be my first choice. I do use them and have and good results but always fall back to Virginia Style.

Brian Mullaney, In Depth and Me

Jan 05

[ 11-27-2005, 04:21 PM: Message edited by: Bay Stalker ]

543 Posts
The old standard is the #4-3 Virginia. A good, inexpensive hook but needs sharpening out of the box. I use #4's on smaller baits like green crabs and use #3's on larger baits like whole white crab. I also use octopus style hooks. Owner and Daiichi are the best with Gamakatsu a distant second. I've had more problems with Gammy's bending or breaking that the other 2 brands. For these, I use 4/0 for smaller baits and 5/0 for larger baits.

Beads are not necessary for tog. However, I do know one togger who is pretty damn good and has pinhooked for years who sometimes uses a very small glow bead. He says tog are curious fish and they see the glow bead and want to check it out. I can almost guarantee that this guy has decked more 12#+ fish than anyone on this site since he fished commercially for so long and still is a fishing machine today.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.