BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9,166 Posts
i love late sept and early oct, we have gone as late as halloween.....as a matter of fact we caught a #320 bluefin the day before halloween

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Every chance you get this year with the price of fuel. Even if nothing bites at night you can be there for prime time trolling action at day break and get a 2 for 1 trip by fishing 2 days and not burning 2 full days worth of fuel.

·
Banned
6,106 Posts
bigbri said:
a few buddies and i were looking to do an overnighter when would be the best time to go
Before dark....;)

·
Registered
705 Posts
anytime..

Gettin away with family and or friends is priceless. As long as the weather looks to be good, and the boat is serviced and ready to go,,,just go. Gonna cost a bit more this year for the long distance trips, but, as we say,,,,it is what it is. Hope we have another fantastic Big Eye bite this year, last year was fantastic. We also try to stay away from the weekends if possible. October is always big for us. Joe/Dave, Manasquan Inlet, NJ

·
Banned
136 Posts
the night bite usually turns in mid aug. I plan on starting overnighters earlier this year and plan on targeting swords/sharks at night and them troll first light. With the cost of fuel I will be doing longer trips.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I hate to speak for Stew on the Pez Machine but in years past he has done a lot of overnighters throughout the summer. (July-Oct) You just need to find the write conditions. Between weather, water temp, water clarity, and hopefully a good tip on where the bait is or you find the bait. I did one in aug of last year, we didn't find the tuna but we found the swords. Despite not getting much sleep I love hanging out with my buddies on the boat all night BSing and fishing. Sitting there drinking some big boy sodas and before you know it ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!! All hell breaks loose!! Gotta love this sport!

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Fighting Irish45 said:
I hate to speak for Stew on the Pez Machine but in years past he has done a lot of overnighters throughout the summer. (July-Oct) You just need to find the write conditions. Between weather, water temp, water clarity, and hopefully a good tip on where the bait is or you find the bait. I did one in aug of last year, we didn't find the tuna but we found the swords. Despite not getting much sleep I love hanging out with my buddies on the boat all night BSing and fishing. Sitting there drinking some big boy sodas and before you know it ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!! All hell breaks loose!! Gotta love this sport!
This year will be no different on the 56' Custom, trust me! It's going to be one helluva season and I look forward to every minute that we are going to spend in the BLUE H2o. The boat is going to be a chunking machine and Stew knows how to find em.

You're right on about spending time with the people that matter the most...family and friends!

Are you a Notre Dame fan with a handle like that? I am a die-hard Domer fan myself...

www.pezmachine.com

·
Registered
333 Posts
best time is Aug through October, but water temperature is the key. Later in the season we tend to be at the southern canyons as the fish leave the area for the winter.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
B Cartlidge said:
This year will be no different on the 56' Custom, trust me! It's going to be one helluva season and I look forward to every minute that we are going to spend in the BLUE H2o. The boat is going to be a chunking machine and Stew knows how to find em.

You're right on about spending time with the people that matter the most...family and friends!

Are you a Notre Dame fan with a handle like that? I am a die-hard Domer fan myself...

www.pezmachine.com
Hell yeah congrats on the new boat I saw it on your guy's website, Damion was telling me all about it. Such a nice machine, I heard you guys were putting more fish boxes in her, with your crew you guys will need them.

Yeah I'm a huge Irish fan, my father's side of the family were all born and raised in Southbend, so I was born into the Notre Dame Tradition.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Right on...gotta love the Irish. Both of my parents graduated from ND and quite a few of my uncles did too. I will always be a fan and am glad to see that you will be too.

The boat is getting stacked out and is coming along nicely. Besides having more massive fishboxes installed, the boat is also being equipped with Satelite TV, a killer Furuno electronics package, lights lights and more lights (4, 500 Watt spreaders and BIG underwater lights), Windlass, etc. Good luck this season, hope you and your buds catch em up

Brian
Pez Machine Sportfishing
www.pezmachine.com

·
Registered
8,051 Posts
If your fishing a row boat like mine...:D

You want a Bermuda high controlling your area with NO frontal systems coming or going. A forecast of 2 to 3 with wind of less than 10 knts. Forget the trip if the wind has a North component! These days will most likely occur in august. However, I fished the canyon as late as November... May have been October though.. Anyway, the thing is ALL the elements should line up, Weather, water, and fish..... Weather being the most important as, if the weather is good, All is good.

Line up those elements, and go fish. Don't worry of it is a weekday or weekend. The prices of fuel are gonna leave folks sitting, if you find a fleet stay away. Last year during a weekend the sun came up and all the big boys started to troll as did we. It was the typical red barron troll all the 40 and 50 footers side by side leaning on the little guy cause 1 person caught one big eye.. (Taht in actuality is prolly a big yellowfin:) )All good, I don't mind I never fish a fleet anyways... I am off to just where I can see fleet, bang bang bang, triple... same spot double, a real mad dog bite... Actaully, pulled lures away from crashing tuna fish for fun! Think we ended with 8 or 10 fish.. Note 26' boat and only two of us... Beleive that was August.. This is only the most recent example, there are many similar!

In short, fish when you can and when you will be comfortable. The canyon is a long ways. Good weather aside from impecable boat maintenance is your main concern. You get about 10 to 12 perfect days a year, another 6 or so questionable but prolly doable days. (Those aren't for the new). Plenty if you ask me......

1 - 20 of 25 Posts