BASS BARN banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
I am organizing a tagging trip to Panama this March and looking for input on the best poppers. What are your favorites? Last year Yo Zuri Sashimi Bulls, Herus and Surface Bulls were good - others?

****Out of respect of our paying advertisers, please refrain from posting links to your web site.****

·
Registered
20,269 Posts
Pick up a copy of January's On the Water Magazine... good article on recent trip jigging and plugging Panama...

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
This sounds like a Kilsong question,maybe he'll chime in here .You can Check out his website jignpop.com -He's been there many times and has tested a lot of lures.You can send him an email through his site or do a search on here for him to send him a message.Search Ksong

·
Registered
7,225 Posts
John, you saw what worked best for yft last year. :)
When I fished Panama 2 - 3 years ago, cheap, but durable 3 0z Ranger lures worked for me.
But when I fished last April, Heru Skipjack and Yozuri Sashimi Bull worked best.
I found Heru Tuna is as effective as Heru Skipjack for yft when I fished 4 days out of PV in Dec. For some reason, Shubuki/Brabus lures were not effective last year. Still not many lures were tested for yft in Panama and it is a good idea to bring your favorite lures.

-------------

www.jignpop.com
www.jignpopforum.com

·
Registered
453 Posts
been there 3 times in 3 years, shibukis work everytime without question. in a WFO feed on the surface, BIG poppers were best. BIG poppers were also best inshore, the bigger the better.

roberts rangers, ronz, etc etc etc also work if there are fish around. assuming you find fish they really are not picky.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Morning guys - I've fished Panama I think 4 or 5 times in the past several years, done well on most Poppers and Stickbaits. If I had to bring one lure it would be a 7X Salas "iron" in White/Blue, second lure would be a Pink/Black Salas (catches tuna and got two wahoo hooksup on that color), third would be poppers like Yo-Zuri Sashimi Bull, Sashimi Slider in Flying Fish pattern.

One or two big poppers like Hammerhead or 7 Seas. The cheaper big poppers like Strike Pro tuna hunters have been excellent. And don't forget some OTI Wombats, excellent rough water popper.

Good luck on your trip.

Peter and I are flying down first week of April with a group of 7.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts