BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got out yesterday and I caught my first big bluefin in a long time. It was 58 inches by 40 inches. One heck of a fight.

What is your favorite recipe for grilled bluefin tuna?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Dont Cook It!

Show it where the grill is.

mix some 5:1 wasabi:soy spackle.

dip it in there.

the wasabi will provide the heat!

oh man my mouth is waterin... i just gleeked on my keyboard.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Fly,

I nod to Sweets reply, Bluefin properly cared for and deep chilled makes your best Sashimi.

Try 2"x2"x 10" chunks seared on a super hot grill (rolled in sesame seed is a bonus). When I say seared, I mean you only want it cooked at tops a 1/4" into the meat. Thinly slice the meat and surround a mixed greens salad add some Balsamic or Ginger dressing.

Grilled Steaks are sometimes a little strong for most peoples pallete, stay away from cooking too much. Marinating and searing is the way to go.

Care at the kill is the key to enjoyment with these fish !

Enjoy

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We cut the fish immediately. I didnt keep any of the sushi meat. I gave that to my buddies. Im not a big fan of sushi.

Thanks for all the tips!

·
Registered
9,997 Posts
John P Henjes said:
However you prepare it, don't over cook it.
You might like Soy Vay's Island Teriyaki marinade. They also make a very terri that's excellent. It's in gormet shoppes and some Supers.

We marinade for 20 minutes in a pan, add assorted veggies, than [email protected] 350 for 15 minutes, 20 min MAX. Don't flip, add rice .......yummmm. Hoping for a weekend weather window myself!

Don't dry it out, and take some off early so you can decide if that really is for you

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
I prefer Bluefin Seared on the outside, raw on the inside.

Andrew's "can't possibly miss" Tuna recipe - (not mine)

Take the Steak(s) dust it with Essence or Blackened Magic, place in a zip lock, put a 1/4 teaspoon (or a few drops) of Sesame oil and about 1/2 cup of Soyvee Marinade. Marinate no longer than 20 minutes before cooking.

Sear in a very hot cast iron Skillet, ( get skillet real hot and put a few drops of oil to keep fish from sticking) for 20 seconds each side, slice and serve with favorite dipping sauce, and or roll it up for Sushi. Or cook a minute or so on each side and serve rare to medium rare as entree.

Grilling: get grill as hot as it can get with lid down, make sure it is cleaned well, then wipe super hot Grill with rag soaked in oil, to keep fish from sticking. Work fast the grill loses heat rapidly.

Bottom line, I can't eat Bluefin cooked well done, would rather eat shoe leather.
Captn Joe

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Marinate in ginger, garlic, green onion, low sodium soy, and sesame oil 30min. Sear 30sec each side. reduce marinate, slice tuna, & drizzle reduction over tuna. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

·
Registered
13,702 Posts
Now were talkin, Seared Tuna - I make a soy, wasabi and minced ginger mix for the dippin.

I like sesame seed on a seared tuna also.

I wish there was a recipe forum - or section

·
Registered
136 Posts
Melt some butter, dip the stake in the melted butter. Salt and pepper it. Cook on BBQ 2-3 minutes each side on low/medium heat. Cook so only the outside is cooked, 70% of the middle is still red. Enjoy while totally hot. If you cook BFT all the way it gets really fishy and if you cook the fatty meat, that just gets nasty!

·
Registered
95 Posts
the best may to sear tuna

roll tuna in your favorite spice and then sear it with a plumbing torch i saw this on the tv toasted on the outsided and real raw on the inside.also if you do this inside it will cut down on smokin out the house.

spencer

·
Registered
583 Posts
tight lipped said:
Now were talkin, Seared Tuna - I make a soy, wasabi and minced ginger mix for the dippin.

I like sesame seed on a seared tuna also.

I wish there was a recipe forum - or section
There's a recipe section under the "Resources" link...

·
Registered
25,494 Posts
Get a few bags of sesame seeds, pour them on a plate, mix in a dash of sea salt & a good bit of fresh cracked pepper.

In a saute pan, put in about a 1/4" of olive oil and get hot.

Press the tuna steaks into the seed mix and coat both sides and the edges. Put in the hot oil for about 45-60 seconds on each side. The seeds will form a crust.

Serve with some wasabi & low soduim soy sauce for dipping.

·
Registered
8,087 Posts
Thought I would give my 2 cents here. Congrats on your Tuna!!! Just like everyone else has said here, don't over cook it(unless you don't like rare meat). Season it well with salt and pepper, get a cast iron skillet super hot. Put about 1 tbp of olive oil(butter burns and creates ALOT of smoke, house smoke detectors don't like that)...sear each side for about 30 seconds(depending on size) I go about a 8 oz portion.(3"x3"x5") Get a super sharp knife and thinly slice it. Go to the Asian Market and get some of the Sambal Chillie Sauce(to dip it) If your looking for a dinner, cook up some rice, stir fry some veggies with garlic and ginger(thinly sliced, peppers, muchrooms, napa cabbage, sqaush, snowpeas) hit it with some teryaiki(sp) and dump over rice, and put your thinly sliced tuna on that and away you go...PLENTY of things you can do with bluefin tuna, they all don't have to be Japanese. Good luck with your tuna!

·
Registered
32,437 Posts
I coat it with sesame seeds and coarse ground black pepper then sear. I thinly slice it as described by CapeMaychef. I make my own dipping sauce, though. It starts with soy sauce, a little balsamic vinegar, a very small amount of sesame oil and brown sugar. I dip it in this and eat with the wasabi paste you squeeze from a tube and pickled ginger.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Had a good Honey Soy marinade from McCormick recently. Marinate for 15-20 minutes and then grill for a minute or less on each side.

·
Registered
797 Posts
My favorite recipe:
1. Cut filet off fish
2. Allow sun light on meat side for 5 seconds
3. Commence eating

Wasabi optional.

·
Banned
1,617 Posts
I got tired of my smoke detectors going off every time I seared fish. I bought one of those turkey "DEEP Fryer" setups. I use the outdoor burner with a big cast iron skillet. It heats FAST and the only problem with the smoke is that it attracts hungry nieghbors!!!:)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts