BASS BARN banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to stick some long 2x12's over my rocky boat ramp out back...a few feet of these boards will be underwater at high tide.

What have you found to make wood last the longest? I am thinking some sort of epoxy resin? Should I start with pressure treated lumber or would the regular stuff soak up the sealer better? It doesn't have to be pretty.

·
Registered
858 Posts
As far as I know you can still use cca wood for some marine purposes. A couple years back I bought some cca plywood. I had to go right to the company in Salisbury Md. Maybe try to find a source near you & discuss it with them. Otherwise I would look into the newer type manufactured lumber. I just bought some stuff that looks like T-111 to skirt a park model trailer. It is guaranteed not to mildew, swell or deteriorate for 50 years. A few years ago I bought some 4x8 sheets 3/4 inch t&g sub floor that was treated the same way. It looked like osb, but was impervious to water. In both cases I put a piece in a glass of water with one end sticking out in the air & let it soak a few days, or in the case of the t&g a few weeks. It came out looking exactly like it came from the store. That might be a good choice for your project if you can find it in the sizes you need.

·
Registered
14,903 Posts
Isn't the pileings they use for bulkheads ACQ as far as i know pressure is not used now did you think about cedar or redwood

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Just a thought but if the wood Is constantly getting wet it will get some algae growth and could be really slippery when the tide drops and may defeat your purpose.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts