BASS BARN banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

Trying to get my mind off this snow... first thing I thought about was fish'in- imagine that!?

Anyway, I picked up a Outback last year & was driving around w/ it hanging out the back of my SUV (tied down of course). It's easy enough to do that way, but I don't like the idea of my trunk open if I need to stop anywhere or if the weather's bad.

I was thinking about getting a roller for the back roof and support cushions for the front, but I'm not sure? Wanted to know what you guys found most effective?? Also, what brand(s) are best?

Thanks in advance for any advice you could share!

Brett

PS Any word on if there's gonna be a spring this year???

·
Registered
13,999 Posts
I had the roller/pads from Thule (I believe... might be Yakima?) for my Grand Cherokee and they were decent enough.

There are the yak helpers (can't recall the name) that are integral with the rack, such that you can load the yak on the side, then push it into traveling position over the roof racks. I know someone who has them and they are very effective... just a bit high $$

·
Registered
97 Posts
The guy who sold me my Yak also had a Yakima "Showboat" rack and I threw in a couple extra bucks on the spot to buy that. I could instantly see how convenient it would make things. The Showboat bolts on to existing roof racks (my SUV has them factory installed). The back of it is like a big toilet paper roll. You "roll" the boat up onto the roof via this system and then tie it down. Piece of cake. No lifting the entire boat, just the bow with the stern on the ground. From there, you want ratchet straps to tie it to your front bumper, back back bumper, and to the roof racks mid-boat.

·
Registered
112 Posts
thule #884 roller system,, it makes loding and unloading easy,,, im using mine with a hobie pro angler,,so an outback should be a breeze:):):)

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Since my yak only weighs 45 pounds, I just heave it up on top my my van. I have a piece of carpet between the yak and roof and have straps that go over the yak and through the van.

If I ever got anything heavier, I'd have to come up with a better system to load it up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.