BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Davec, Dave G, SRF and myself were fortunate enough to have stumbled on some good - excellent early season weakfishing recently.

Due to the apparent lack of "Large" in the South, we opted for a trip to the Great White North and luckily for us it paid off.

Every fish we caught pulled the Boga to between 8 & 13#'s. Out of the 40 or so fish that were caught 4 of them were 13#'s. No matter how hard we tried we simply couldn't find a 14# fish in the crowd. Oh well! I guess ya can't win'em all ;)

Here's a shot of Dave "Someone's Gotta Be Catching Big Fish Somewhere" G and one of his 13# tiderunners.

It seems as though the best bite accrued just before and just after the top and bottom of the tide. Although we did get fish throughout the tide on a couple of occasions.

Here's a shot of Dave "I Can Only Do A 1/2 Day" C holding one of his "Large" models while Dave G does battle in the background.

We caught all of our fish on jigs mainly from shore using primarily 3/8 oz jig heads / 10" worms in various colors and Bubble Gum Zooms.

Believe it or not I somehow talked one of the "Daves" into snapping a picture of me(that doesn't happen every day...lol!). The amazing part is it came out looking pretty good. No thumbs, cut off heads, or lens covers left on...LOL!

I'm happy to report that each and every one of our fish were released with care

Here's SRF providing some proof~

[ 05-29-2004, 04:19 PM: Message edited by: Ron Redington ]

·
Registered
368 Posts
Ron , nice fish there does seem to be a shortage in SJ this year of the tide runners. I've hit all my usual spots and just get sprayed by that dang skunk. Can any buddy tell me why they seam to have went north so fast this year. I guess I'll have to spend a few years searching for good water up north now.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Now there's where they all been .
Glad to see some good sized fish, thanks for the report Ron :D !

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
Good job doobages. Im glad it was you guys catching them and letting them swim away. The meat guys are salivating at how full their coolers could have been. LOL ;)

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Nice job guys!!! Just one question, if I may be so bold: North meaning North Jersey or North of North Jersey?

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
North of the equator! These guys are tough ;)

·
Registered
7,838 Posts
Beautiful fish, still looking for one of those big boys down in Cape May. It is great that you let them go too. That looked like a day you will remember forever. Nice job.

·
Premium Member
18,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Originally posted by Charlie G:
I guess I'll have to spend a few years searching for good water up north now.
The more ground ya cover the better your chances. Or at least that what I try to make myself believe

·
Premium Member
18,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Originally posted by BIGGESTJACK:
Nice fishies Ron.

Now our tagged striper would look nice on the front page while you are posting pictures. ;) :D
Sounds like a plan Jack! But first I need ta get some sleep

·
Registered
28 Posts
Nice fish guys. Ive been looking for weakfish of that size for 7 years now.

You guys are either very skillfull or very lucky to have run into them?

BTW, where they bait or lure caught fish?

[ 05-31-2004, 06:56 PM: Message edited by: Donnie27 ]

·
Premium Member
18,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Originally posted by Donnie27:

You guys are either very skillfull or very lucky to have run into them?
Well Donnie...the truth is, I've got the skills and my partners have the luck. Together we do ok ;) ...LOL! Just kidding guys

BTW, where they bait or lure caught fish?
Check out the first sentance under the second picture

1 - 20 of 20 Posts