BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
Put a whole bunker in trap,you can also use any of your filet racks for bait.Its not the style of trap,keep it in the skinny water early in the season,you will do better.Maybe someone was pulling your trap and helping themselves to your minnies!!!!

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
the round ones work fine. i have 3 or 4 of them and i toss them out for about 4 or 5 hours as i crab and i usually have a load of them. usually enogh for a few fishing trips. i also use bunker , fish skeletons and sometimes the extra chicken for crabbing. my problem is keeping them for a couple of weeks at home . this year i have a tub that im gonna use.i have a high death rate on keeping them. my house is not near the water but but i keep them at home for the future trips. bb

·
Registered
19,698 Posts
realaxation,
I have never heard of using bread for minnow bait.

The round ones are what all the minnowers in this area use. My buddy supplies the minnows for alot of the local bait shops, including the girls place.

He uses oily fish and fish carcasses for bait. Mainly bunker, but will also use blue fish and herring.

Bob,
I was gonna setup a utility tub in my basement with a aerator in it to try and keep some minnows alive this year. The cost of minnows is outrageous!

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
Brownbob, if you keep them minnies on a wet towel with ice under them they might last a little longer,Put some ice in the bottom of a cooler, place a towel over the ice and put your minnies on the towel place another towel over the first layer etc.Finally put a layer of newspaper over the final layer and close cooler!!This may give you more time with those minnies than you may normally get.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
trd , do you think they will live that long out of water ,say 2 weeks or more? jason, i had a 55 gallon fish tank with 4 filters and aeroators . local tackle shop told me he changes the water 2x a day and uses water softner salt for the water and puts bottles of ice in the water to keep them cool. i change the water once a day and did good 2 seasons ago but this past i had alot more die.relaxation, keep an eye on them traps if you leave them. i had 2 brand new ones stolen from me two years ago and i was only just arond the bend from them. approached a guy that had about 30 traps in the same area and he said he didnt take them.i know he did because i never saw or heard another boat all morning there. bb

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Bread!? Does he not like you :D ? Used bread once yrs ago & all minnows stomaches blew up like ballons & died. Any type of meat/protine shall suffice as long as it hasent been seasoned/spiced. You won't need a lot, just something for scent ;)

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
MargaritaVille, any kids in your local dock area looking to make some spending money? Hmm...

·
Registered
653 Posts
We got home from a fishing trip last summer and had about dozen live minnows left over. My wife has one of those round ponds in the back yard with a fountain and aerator. I put the minnows in the pond with the other fish thinking they would'nt last more than a couple of days. This was about the middle of August. She removes the goldfish, fountain and aerator at the end of summer. As I was typing this I ask her how long the minnows lasted, she said the last one died after the first snow.
I know where I'll be keeping my minnows this season.

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
I never had great luck getting minnies at a dock. Now If I tossed them near the grassy edge at high incoming tide, I would pull ewm in every half hour and have a half a trap full.
Cut bunker is great, as is a busted up crab.

·
Registered
11,411 Posts
Whole sticks of wrigleys gum works well too. I use to use these in my minnow traps as a kid in Dias creek. I would sell them to the local fishermen. I had the same problem with the bread killing them, and buying bunker cut too much into my profit margin :D

[ 02-27-2005, 07:32 PM: Message edited by: LOOPY64 ]

·
Administrator
5,198 Posts
Kept them under the house in an airated fish tank. Also, five gallon bucket with 1/2-1 inch of water will keep then for several days in my spare bathroom if I can keep the cats away from them.

Frank, would that work at night??

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
bread works ok, but it doesnt last very long...its gone in an hour or two....I use any left over bait, fish heads or carcases that are around...make sure the holes at the end of the trap are wide open...I usually put the trap on the ground and push a round rake or shovel handle through the hole to open it up a bit more (Lets in the bigger minnows)...grassy edges are great...so is an area near a fish cleaning table...best spot I had last season was behind a big section of sod bank that fell into the canal...wait for a tide to pass, and the trap was full.....only purchased a pint of minnows all last season...that was the first trip of the year....after that I had plenty .. :cool:

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
rage boat beatme to it,try the white strofoam it works

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
Female horseshoe crabs they work the best. Bust them up into quarters man will you be surprised. As a young Fishpicker I got started by catching bait for local tackle shops.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts