BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddies wife made these delicious striper cakes. They were so good that I stole her recipe and made a few myself. Well I'm no chef but I've had numerous people tell me they are fantastic. Almost as good as Skip's Grandmom's I'm told. LOL Thanks Captainbadfinger,good to meet you, Chum,& It's No Fluke and Ester last Monday even though fishing was fun but catching was terrible. On The Hook made me wear the dreaded skunk hat on the way home. Very rare indeed for a Stalker trip. That skinny bastaaad had his mind on Puerto Rico Tarpon! lol...Unfortunate clamboat fire hurt us all.
Anyway here goes.......
2 lbs Striped Bass cut into 1/2" square pieces, 2 heaping tbs mayo, 2 tbs dijon mustard, 1 tsp Old Bay seasoning, 2 eggs, 1 cup coarse chopped onions, 1 cup coarse chopped green pepper, 1 cup chopped celery, 2 cups Italian breadcrumbs, 2tbs hot red pepper flakes(more or less to taste)
Mix all ingedients in a large bowl. Form into patties about an inch thick. Add a tsp of olive oil to a large skillet over medium heat and cook 4 minutes per side or until golden brown. Enjoy hot or cold. Great with cocktail sauce. Makes around 20 cakes.

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Finn I have been making those Bass cakes for quite some time now and you are right, they are certainly a treat. Try adding some horseradish, a splash of white wine, fresh basil and substitute ground up corn flakes instead of bread crumbs. Chiao`

·
Registered
32 Posts
Is the striper precooked or raw before adding into the ingredients? Sounds great, I'm going to try it.

------------------
"I spend most of my time fishing, the rest I waste."

·
Registered
6,704 Posts
Don`t change a thing they are PERFECT !!!!!!!

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Mike a steam them a bit first then pull them into shreds and place them into the mixture. Oh and am telling you if you want the best, follow my receipe.

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Captainbadfinger........I agree. Don't change a thing cause they are the best!Mate Mike you don't have to do any pre-cooking. I just take fillets out of the freezer and defrost them in the microwave on the fish or chicken defrost setting for a couple minutes and them chop em into 1/2" squares. They cook up thoroughly in the skillet following my recipe. The secret to not having mushy cakes is to keep your ingredients coarse and to cut your fish into chunks not less than 1/2"! Good Luck

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
Hey Capt. Bry! (aka finaddict5) You better stick to the golf clubs and leave the frying pan to someone else. Hunter Henry concurs with Rodfather on the presteaming the fish. Then the ingredeants will hold firmly.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
This is all good stuf. I have made cakes in the past and they were delicious. Since seeing this thread I've wanted to make them the last couple nights but the little woman has had dinner working when I arrived home, and I'm sure not going to interfere with this streak!
Next chance I get.......

------------------
" The longer they're on, the bigger that hole is getting."

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't blame you keeper seeker. lol
...Hey Val, I'm tellin' bev on you! Agreeing with Rodfather over her instructions...your in trouble.... lmao
p.s. What does Henry know? He USED TO BE a chef!!! Just kiddin' buddy... lmao

·
Registered
689 Posts
hey bry, i'm gonna make some for the game on saturday, being i have plenty of meat from our last trip(ya should've been wit us). i had a guy from work with us, he wanted two fillets! i had my son(BONES), so i got his meat, and skip said he had a freezer full and didn't want any so it all came home with me. i'm not gonna rub it in and tell ya how many pounds i got and i did weigh it and i was even suprised myself. lets just say i'm good til spring, ya know what i'm sayin'... i don't have a vacume sealer but used one of val's tricks with the five gallon bucket of water to get air out of the zip-locks...worked pretty good i must say...thanks val. anyway i'll try the receipe and we'll see how they come out. as always, keep enjoyin' life my friends and we'll hook up in the spring for golf and fishing(not particularly in that order).

J LITT

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
Good one Biggest. Also Jim, whats wrong with golf first? Besides, Bry only teaches it, he can't play!

·
Registered
689 Posts
that's funny val. i'm a fair weather golfer and not a good one at that. it's gotta be nice and warm for me to golf. it's weird, i'd rather freeze my ars off in 30 degree temps on a boat than golf in weather less than 70-75 degrees. plus i'm always looking at the lakes on golf courses wondering what kind of fish i can catch there. my fourteenth club in my bag is an ultra-light fishing rod.....

J LITT

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Bry and Val,
My wife is cooking up some of those striper cakes as I type. My mouth is starting to water and I am having a craving for a cold beer to go with them. I will let you know if they rank up to the ones you had on The Stalker.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Meats thawing right now!! I'm making up a big batch tonight!!!

------------------
" The longer they're on, the bigger that hole is getting."

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank goodness someone told you raw keeper, other wise you'd be enjoying striper egg salad. Bet that might not be too bad though. LOL Hey there It's No Fluke ...whats up buddy? Hope you and Ester enjoy em! Yoooo Jim I wish I had that striper meat surplus, you got the right idea!!! Gld to see me other mates from the Stalker trips all seem to be enjoying them fishie cakes. . I remember when my old pal Val used to give me his extra striper too!!!!! Not anymore, now he got a dammmmmmmm vacumm sealer. LOL

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.