BASS BARN banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fish a 22cc and only make it 20-30nm but had some good success on inshore BFT this past year in the mudhole. I am looking for advice on the correct trolling speed. We trolled last year between 6-7 knots but I felt it was fast at times. I am thinking about slowing it down to 5-6 knots but am unsure. What do you guys think?

On this same topic is water temp. What water temps and breaks do you guys look for when targeting the inshore BFT in the mudhole area? I typically look for water in the 60-64 degree range but would love to hear what more guys thought about this too.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
If you were into the football bite near ML last fall, most days they wanted the troll baits fast. We started targeting them using our normal BFT trolling speeds and figured out we had to speed up to be more successful. Generally the faster the troll on BFT, the smaller the fish.

I think bait is more important than water temp most of the time. Find the bait and you'll find the fish.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
The best I can tell you is find the tuna chicks,then troll 6/7 knots ,make some shallow turns and sharp turn ,troll in all directions,if you get hit when your coming out of a turn slow your speed down and troll same area in same direction at slower speed if you get a strike at 7 knts continue at that speed

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Offshore Adict

You will find BFT in water much warmer than 64 in the mudhole. As someone said, bait is more important, and look for life such as chicks, whales etc. you will find BFT mixed in with bluefish in areas such as the slough, little italy, monster Ledge etc. Troll faster to keep the bluefish off, and try not to use expensive lures, since the bluefish will destroy them. Hang with the bulefish, the BFT are there eating the same bait, which is probably sand eels.

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
Good advice above. Water temps can go as high as low to mid 70's from what I have witnessed, by catching smaller fish.

As for the right speed, it will vary as mentioned. It also depends on what your pulling. I have seen these fish hit spoons. When getting into a spoon type lure, the current will also effect the action of the spoon. If your trolling against it, it will require a slower speed, if your trolling with it, you will need to bump it up a little to keep the lure/spoon swimming right. Hope that makes sense??

Its not often a spoon type lure is effective, but sometimes it can be crazy how something like a Krocodile will catch tuna! I have seen tuna caught on Clarks, etc... sometimes the surface lures just attract them and the swimming lures will hook them. This is when the current will matter on the speed. :)

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
As for the right speed, it will vary as mentioned. It also depends on what your pulling. I have seen these fish hit spoons. When getting into a spoon type lure, the current will also effect the action of the spoon. If your trolling against it, it will require a slower speed, if your trolling with it, you will need to bump it up a little to keep the lure/spoon swimming right. Hope that makes sense??
Same here. For me its all based on experience. I don't even really watch my speed. I look at how the lures are running and adjust accordingly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.