BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,
Ok, I've done well over the last 3 fall seasons to time the running of the big bluefish out front along the coast. Seems like it coincides with the final catches of smaller blues, around late October to mid Nov depending on whereabout on the coast you are fishing. But generally, I know it's time to soak those big bunker chunks and large metal/plugs right after the smaller blues move out and about a week after I start to hear reports of stripers being caught in some numbers/size along the coast.

With that said, I have never had luck targetting the gators in the spring. Generally in the spring, I'll fish inlets during incoming for taylor blues and some stripers mixed in as well but seem to always miss out on the big blues in the back which I find to be a blast on light gear!

So, is there something that I should look for to alert me that it's time to go to those deep holes and cuts in the back along the sods and inlets in the spring for the big blues? Once the taylor blues and smaller blues move into the back around mid-May, should I assume that the bigger blues are out of the back and now moving around out front? Are the bigger blues moving into the back before the smaller blues start moving into the back?

I know it's impossible to put an exact match on timing these fish, but usually a solid generalization can be made. Thanks and good karma for any info. Feel free to PM if you'd rather not give up TMI. :)

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Anytime from the end of April to mid May in the back. I dont know when I started catching them last year but I have pics of some nice gators from the second week in May taken way in the back

RyanF

·
Registered
212 Posts
We got them in Longport at the end of May, nothing under 5 lbs and we got a nice 8pounder too. Just heaving mackerel strips with heavy weight near the jetties. You couldnt get them on jigs or artificials, too cold and too lazy i guess, but once u let something soak, they killed it.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Usually by mothers day.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
mid-may, we were catching 5-8lbers in the back behind sea isle

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So you think I should move farther in the back away from the inlet when I start seeing those smaller blues (2-4#) stacked in the inlet during incoming? I remember reading that the bigger one will avoid the loud areas (like trafficky inlets) and hang out deeper into sods in the back.

Btw, I do not have boat access, sand or sod only. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Are you fishing from shore or boat?

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Shore . . .

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
wherever you go just toss mackeral chunks and you will catch blues. Try different spots and you will find where the bigger fish are.

RyanF

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Last year Great Bay held bigger blues than I have ever seen for just about the entire month of May. The Egg Island Flats at the end of Grassy Channel are the spot to throw surface poppers in about 3 feet of water at the top of the tide.

We put them on the scale to 12 pounds and the adverage was almost 8 pounds.

Actually we had them just about everywhere while striper fishing. They love to chomp on clams if they find them and will chop off jigs so don't go out without poenty of tackle.

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
if you see a guy sitting on his dock from sun up to sun down in the sea isle backbay area, in early spring, then you will know the gators are around, but remember to drive by slow, he can get cranky if you rock the dock :D

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Guatemala Dave said:
Last year Great Bay held bigger blues than I have ever seen for just about the entire month of May. The Egg Island Flats at the end of Grassy Channel are the spot to throw surface poppers in about 3 feet of water at the top of the tide.

We put them on the scale to 12 pounds and the adverage was almost 8 pounds.

Actually we had them just about everywhere while striper fishing. They love to chomp on clams if they find them and will chop off jigs so don't go out without poenty of tackle.
2nd $ 3rd week of May we did overnighters on my boat and at first light there were large schools of these larger blues from the inlet to grassy. Throw a jig (or anything with the slightest action) towards the flats and jig it down the drop off into a channel and you couldn't keep them off your line.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Esox1 said:
if you see a guy sitting on his dock from sun up to sun down in the sea isle backbay area, in early spring, then you will know the gators are around, but remember to drive by slow, he can get cranky if you rock the dock :D
HA HA :D ......Where are you located at... also how much success do you have from the dock ???

·
Registered
362 Posts
We got into them end of april/end of may. I think it might be a littl earlier this season...start gathering some old plastics that you want to get rid of!!

lots of luck.

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
Finjunkie said:
HA HA :D ......Where are you located at... also how much success do you have from the dock ???
somewhere in between the capt robbins and the coast guard station :D ,

going to put the canoe w/trolling motor in first, just bought two new batteries, once I start catching them off the dock, i will launch the canoe and troll the back for them then go after them in the grady while anchored-up for striper

1 - 20 of 21 Posts