1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
2,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From the Asbury Park Press.

BY JOE ZEDALIS
MANAHAWKIN BUREAU

New Jersey found out it will get another $2.5 million in federal funding for beach construction on Long Beach Island in 2007, all the while wondering if the $5 million appropriated for this year will be used.

Congressman H. James Saxton, R-N.J., announced the $2.5 million was included in the 2007 Energy and Water Development budget. Saxton spokesman Jeff Sagnip Hollendonner said it was the first time construction funding was included in a presidential budget.

David Rosenblatt, the state Department of Environmental Protection project manager for the LBI replenishment project, admitted the DEP will need to simplify easement language or risk having local municipalities spend millions on condemnation proceedings.

Bill Knarre, the president of the Brant Beach Homeowners Association in Long Beach Township, estimated condemnation proceedings and property purchases so the beach fill can begin would be $125,000 per property. Long Beach Township needs 600 easements.

"There is currently a re-education process under way," Rosenblatt said. "We held public hearings for this project in the 1990s. We neglected to account for change over in property ownership and changes in administrations.

"When we met with the public in December we considered it the end of the public process; too many considered it the beginning of the public process. That was clearly a mistake.

"I believe that municipalities, working with the DEP, can rectify the situation," he said.

Long Beach Township Mayor DiAnne C. Gove is arranging more intimate meetings with the DEP and oceanfront property owners.

On Tuesday, Leonard T. Connors Jr., Surf City mayor and a state senator, said he asked the borough engineer to create a plot plan for each property owner to show where their property ends and state property, east of the bulkhead line, begins.

"I want it to be explained in plain language," Connors said. "I think most homeowners don't even know where the bulkhead line is. In Surf City, most of the bulkhead line is under the dune and people can't walk on the dune anyway."

Knarre said most oceanfront property owners have no problem with sand renourishment.

"People are afraid of the unknown that can be done for perpetuity," he said. "All the legal mumbo jumbo in the easement scared people right off the bat. Common sense says you don't sign something that leaves so much of the unknown out there forever."

Hollendonner said Saxton was able to get the $2.5 million because of replenishment already done on LBI in Harvey Cedars.

"That's why starting this phase of the project is so important," he said. "Future funding may be at stake if work doesn't begin this summer."

Rosenblatt, however, was more certain the pumping of sand would begin.

"I am optimistic that in the end we will secure most of the necessary easements," he said. "I am optimistic there will be construction on LBI this summer."

Joe Zedalis (609) 978-4582 or [email protected]

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Another SandWave Is On The Way.Not Good For Us Fishermen.. But If You Have BeachFront Property
You Have To Be Thrilled. I'm Not Thrilled At All

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
if they dont want to grant access, then pay for it yourself, or let nature take its course. I wouldnt mind throwing wildeyes around some new structure next fall at all.

·
Registered
114 Posts
NIGHTSTRIKES you say:"Another SandWave Is On The Way.Not Good For Us Fishermen.. But If You Have BeachFront Property You Have To Be Thrilled. I'm Not Thrilled At All"

Just out of curiosity what effect does adding sand to beaches have on fishing? Why is it "Not good for Fisherman"? I'm new to the forum so I would like to understand your reference point for your opinion.

If you were lucky enough to own beachfront property on LBI would you have a differnet view on the topic? Perhaps you do own property on LBI I don't know.

Bottom line is how does replacing beaches negatively effect fishing? Let me know so I can increase my knowledge.

Thanks, Keith

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
LBT couple rallies beach-project opposition

By TRISTAN SCHWEIGERStaff Writer, (609) 978-2015
Published: Wednesday, February 8, 2006
Updated: Wednesday, February 8, 2006

? An attorney will meet with oceanfront property owners from Long Beach Township this weekend to discuss options for getting the state and federal government to modify the Long Beach Island beach-replenishment project ? and possibly to abandon the plan all together.

In a letter to oceanfront owners in the township, June and Mike Logan, who contacted attorney Kenneth Porro and set up the meeting, urged owners not to sign easements required by the federal and state government for the project. They said Porro would meet with oceanfront islanders Sunday afternoon to ?discuss our options for stopping the LBI Beach Replenishment Project as planned.?

The project as it is currently envisioned would ?ruin our views, breezes, access, ocean slopes and the character of LBI with the addition of PORTABLE TOILETS ? and the addition of a possible future boardwalk, et cetera,? the Logans, Brant Beach property owners, wrote in the letter.

The letter references a DEP Web site that does say restroom facilities would likely be portable. However, the same Web site also says that ?This project and easement does not allow for the installation of a Boardwalk, which is not part of the project.?

Township Mayor DiAnne Gove also strongly denied that there would be a boardwalk in the township.

?I'm not having a boardwalk. This is my town, and I am not having a boardwalk, and I can tell you Commissioner (Ralph) Bayard and Commissioner (Robert) Palmer are not going to have it either.?

The DEP Web site about the LBI project is at

Although many residents and public officials see the project as critical to protecting the island from serious storm damage, the easement requirements and the Department of Environmental Protection's requirements of public access points to the beach every quarter mile and construction of parking lots with public restrooms have angered many oceanfront owners.

On Tuesday, June Logan said she wasn't opposed to beach protection, which she said was necessary, but said she also thought the current project was too expansive. The project is planned to extend from a point in the Loveladies' section of the township all the way south to the entrance to the Edwin B. Forsythe National Wildlife Refuge's Holgate Unit.

?We're all for fixing the beaches, repairing, replenishment, wherever it's needed, but we don't feel we need it where we are,? June Logan said. She added that she was concerned by the fact that the required easements would never expire, and said that if the local governments use their power of eminent domain to obtain the access she wants to be compensated.

?We just think that the way they're going about this is uncalled for,? she said.

Gove said she was concerned that oceanfront owners were losing sight of the need for the project. But Gove has also contacted the state expressing concerned over the requirement for public access points and restrooms.

?We do need to have some kind of program. We can't lose focus on that. Neither can the DEP,? Gove said.

Beach Haven Mayor Deborah Whitcraft, who received a copy of the Logans' letter from an oceanfront owner in her town and who forwarded it to The Press of Atlantic City, also said she was worried by the planned meeting.

?Any time you involve lawyers in anything, it becomes complicated. ? I'm certainly not optimistic on this project,? Whitcraft said.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Originally posted by dogmanketo:
NIGHTSTRIKES you say:"Another SandWave Is On The Way.Not Good For Us Fishermen.. But If You Have BeachFront Property You Have To Be Thrilled. I'm Not Thrilled At All"

Just out of curiosity what effect does adding sand to beaches have on fishing? Why is it "Not good for Fisherman"? I'm new to the forum so I would like to understand your reference point for your opinion.

If you were lucky enough to own beachfront property on LBI would you have a differnet view on the topic? Perhaps you do own property on LBI I don't know.

Bottom line is how does replacing beaches negatively effect fishing? Let me know so I can increase my knowledge.

Thanks, Keith
Keith, First welcome to the BassBarn.Com,Glad To Have You Aboard Here.
What happens when they fill the beaches with sand is that it takes away alot of good fishing opportunities.Like filling in deep water holes and covers the jetties all things that attrack the Bigger Fish and Bait and makes LBI such a great fishing beach for SurfCasters..
No I don't own property over on the island but if I did I would want protection to protect my investment,but in reality these project are just short term fixes.Mother nature has a way to take all the pumped sand back away in a very short time if she wants to..What gets me about this situation over on LBI is that these oceanfront property owners that for the most part are only here a few months out of the year do not want their oceanviews blocked or public parking etc.,around their houses..Here we are paying to protect thier investment or partying housees and don't want to give anything back to the public.

So in reality I would like to see them successfully block this beach replenishment for the fact that it will save alot of fishing spots,
but having more access because of it would also be nice...

Double Edge Sword I Quess...

·
Registered
529 Posts
I would think that the people who own these multi-million $$$$ beachfront homes expect something in return for the (and I'm only guessing here) very high taxes they pay for the privilege of being beachfront.
That said, every time there's a replenishment project done it seems, old ma nature does her thing sooner or later and she puts the sand wherever she feels like. Just saw the federal budget, and the Army Corps of Engineers have gotten slashed again. Probably going to see less replenishment projects going on at the Fed level.

·
Registered
600 Posts
the army corp. is a joke, the only way to stabilize a bank, that you would see on LBI is to build some type of retaining wall or bulkhead.the way it is today they will not allow you to do it.if you look back at propertys with bulkhead bellow the dunes most of them are built up rather well. you do not see the bulkheads because they are covered with sand.what the army corp. proposes is that they just build the dunes higher. yea it will fix the problem but in my opinion is just a short term fix.the sand will erode again,it will just take a little longer and if a hurricane comes up the cost we all,as taxpayers, can kiss the 7 million dollars it will cost goodbye.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.