BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I took my wife for he birthday to a restaurant in point N.J. I hear A lot of good thing
about the place. The owner must have fished at least once in his life. They had A great mount of A 100lb sword on the wall. Ok hear is the kicker I look at the menu and the have pepper BIG EYE Tuna. I knew better to order this as I would be disappointed.I even asked the waiter is this really Big Eye Tuna? He
said for sure. I would not have ever made A post if the menu said pepper tuna but they called out Big Eye. So all you offshore fishermen that have caught or
seen A Big eyes flesh, can you tell me what you think of the tuna they served me. View attachment 52996

·
Registered
534 Posts
There is absolutely no way to look at a piece of tuna meat and identify the species with certainty. Big eye is commonly served in sushi restaurants and readily available from fish suppliers. There is no reason to doubt the restaurant. If they said it was bigeye it was probably bigeye, which is much cheaper to the reataurant than bluefin. Whatever it is it looks yummy!!!

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I ate there 3 weeks ago and was craving some tuna. So guess what I ordered it against my better judgement had to go back because it was over cooked.. Came out correct the 2nd time but I wasnt all that impressed with it ... Thats the reason I never order fish out because it never compares to the fish we bring home fresh :huh:

·
Banned
7,247 Posts
Sorry I cannot help you with your question, but how did you like the tuna, and the restaurant in general?

·
Registered
423 Posts
I ate there 3 weeks ago and was craving some tuna. So guess what I ordered it against my better judgement had to go back because it was over cooked.. Came out correct the 2nd time but I wasnt all that impressed with it ... Thats the reason I never order fish out because it never compares to the fish we bring home fresh :huh:
This is exactly how I feel. People always ask me why I never order fish at restaurants, when I love catching and eating fish. I always say it's just NEVER as good as it is when you catch it and prep it right yourself. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I never order fish out because it never compares to the fish we bring home fresh :huh:
I agree 100% Ron. Sometimes just can't help myself when craving fish though!

Wife and I tried going a couple of times, but the wait has always been too long! I've heard it's good though. Supposedly, it's the old chef from the Atantic Bar & Grill in SSP or something...

·
Registered
280 Posts
Yea 3 hours it took for that sword.. We had that hooked on a tuna rig with live squid. Just could not put alot of pressure on that fish, had about 60 pound leader on it. We weighed that at the dock with a digital scale , weighed between 180-200. That fish on the wall looks smaller.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
View attachment 53036
Great story Lou But this is what they look like when you get them on shy tuna
gear and it take 3 hrs. 315lbs dressed close to 400lbs whole
So what's the deal here pal?

You've caught 400 pound swords on shy tuna gear in 3 hours yet WITH pictures yet still need to post a thread on the Barn to figure out what tuna you ate last night? :huh: :huh:

Take your fight elsewhere. Thanks. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
185 Posts
You've caught 400 pound swords on shy tuna gear in 3 hours yet WITH pictures yet still need to post a thread on the Barn to figure out what tuna you ate last night? :huh: :huh:

Take your fight elsewhere. Thanks. :thumbsup:

I couldn't agree more....I've read some ridiculous arguments on this site and this one may be one of the dumbest yet.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Big Eye

Sorry for getting off the subject. The point is and not to pick on the restaurants
In general mislead the public on certain claims. They call there tuna Ahi tuna or
Big Eye tuna and then they serve you the cheapest Or even worse co.2 injected
tuna. I eat fish because it all natural . When I am not fish I get it from local markets or restaurants. I expect to get what I paid for if it cost more charge
more.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Bigeye

Actually, if a picture were a reliable means of identifying the species, I would guess bigeye based on my experience. The striations are somewhat wider and more defined.
I think you've got balls calling out a restaurant with nothing more than conjecture, and you really should get your chemistry right first. It's carbon MON-oxide that's used to kill free radicals that turn meat grey, not CO2.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.