BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was fishing with my son Saturday out at 2FB - we loaded up on blues and headed in closer to catch some of the Brown sharks we had been seeing all day. While we were fishing my son goes "What is that?". Swimming toward the back of the boat was a larger than usual fin. I watch in awe as the biggest shark I have ever seen comes within 2 feet of my outboards. I uttered Oh my God several times.

I had two lines out the back, my boat has a 9' beam at the transom - the shark bumped both lines at the same time and the lines were out wider than the back of the boat. It looked like an airplane was gliding by.

The seas were dead flat and the water crystal clear. I do not think it was a brown - it's nose was pointer and it looked more blue. Brown's do not get that big - do they? It never touched my bait - live bunker. It just circled the back twice and cruised back the way it came.

My son and I will never forget the fin coming at us and the shark getting bigger - The water was like clear blue glass and this monster keeps getting bigger as it gets closer. It was making a good wake on top of the water. And think - just 4 miles from the beach. Absolutely awesome experience.

So, What do you think it was???? It was not a Thresher or a Hammerhead - I would have been able to identify the tail or the head of either one.

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
The brown shark, Carcharhinus milberti is slate gray to brown while its lower surface is normally white. Its fins do not have any conspicuous black markings. Sexual maturity is reached at a length of about 6 feet while its maximum length is approximately 8 feet.

I am thinking blue, mako or great white. I wish I was there.

·
Registered
8,051 Posts
Sounds like a white to me. They are there more often than most know.

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Was the tip of the dorsal rounded? Did you get a good look at the gills, did they seem to wrap around to the top of the shark's back. Did it move with what one could describe as dopey slow movements, almost like it was tired? Or did it move with purpose? Was the dorsal sharply pointed?

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Sounds like either a Basking Shark or a Great White to me.

If you are able to answer Bawugna's questions that should help us out

·
Registered
434 Posts
White, Mako, or Blue... Pointed head and no statement of white spots all over the back rules out Basking...

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
Could Have Been A Tiger There Have Been A Lot More Of Them This Year Than I Can Remember. The Oliva Grace Released A 600 Lb. Tiger On Sat.and Had A Small Tiger Released A Few Weeks Ago And Capt.val Of The Warden Pass Released A Monster Tiger About A Week Ago. How Long Is Your Guess.

·
Registered
12,164 Posts
Bawugna said:
Was the tip of the dorsal rounded? Did you get a good look at the gills, did they seem to wrap around to the top of the shark's back. Did it move with what one could describe as dopey slow movements, almost like it was tired? Or did it move with purpose? Was the dorsal sharply pointed?
I have been hanging with you too long! I was going to ask about the swimming motion. I dunno about all those gill and fin thingies but you taught me about the snake vs. the torpedo!

·
Registered
653 Posts
As others mention, what you describe matches up with my only first hand experience with a great white. Same type of scenario but 18 miles off the beach quite a long time ago. Basking shark, if small, could be confused with a big white if you don't get good look at them.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bawugna, I saw the gills but I do not remember how far back they went. I was moving with purpose - not fast but not real slow. The dorsal was pointed with it's Pectoral fins straight and pointed as well - think airplane.

I do not think it was a Basking shark - no spots at all on the back. I got a real good look.

Biggest, Hard to guess the total size. Bigger than the back of my boat. Over 10' but under 12', I would say 10'-10 1/2 feet.

Whatever it was it is permanently etched into my brain.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Get a camera :D :D

yo jack why you got to call my tiger a small one:D

you could of just said a nice one :p

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
SanibelFisher said:
Bawugna, I saw the gills but I do not remember how far back they went. I was moving with purpose - not fast but not real slow. The dorsal was pointed with it's Pectoral fins straight and pointed as well - think airplane.

I do not think it was a Basking shark - no spots at all on the back. I got a real good look.

Biggest, Hard to guess the total size. Bigger than the back of my boat. Over 10' but under 12', I would say 10'-10 1/2 feet.

Whatever it was it is permanently etched into my brain.
Sounds like a white then. They are awesome up close huh? Makes you think twice about taking a dip!

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
Compared To What Sanibel Is Talking About.only Small In The Context Of The Thread.i'm Trying To Talk My Way Out Of It.you Still Have One More Tiger Then I Ever Caught. Burp!!

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
BigG said:
Get a camera :D :D

yo jack why you got to call my tiger a small one:D

you could of just said a nice one :p
I had a camera on the boat but I could not close my mouth and pull my self away to run to the front of my boat and get it :eek: !

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Blue?

The "airplane" description sounds like a blue shark to me. Was the shark long and skinny or more stout? If it were a white or mako it would be like 800 or 1000#. I think if I had a 10-11' white or mako 2' off my outboards I would need a bigger boat and clean britches :) The only thing that I would question would be that if it were a blue shark that it didnt touch your bait.

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Reel thing asked my last question. With only a description the way you put it one has to narrow it more. A blue would almost slither (got that right Darrin) while a white would be stiff like a Mako. A white would leave the impression of massiveness, while a blue would leave the of grace. The pointed fin is the halmark of a White. Pointed and very triangular almost like thier teeth if you can get that picture in your mind. A Mako has a slightly swept dorsal and a tiger has even more sweep.....swept back on the leading edge that is, while the leading edge of a white is very much straight up sorta. Descriptions are tough to identify a fish by. Pics are sometimes tough but words and memory are real tough. Add that to the fact that you are describing characteristics of several fish that are in the area right now and you have us all scratching our collective heads.

Next time, break yourself out of the trance and grab that camera:p :rolleyes: :D

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Can we get some pic`s up like you guys did for tuna ID?Very helpfull by the way.Is it this one,nope,Is it this one.................... I gotta know.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Bawugna said:
Reel thing asked my last question. With only a description the way you put it one has to narrow it more. A blue would almost slither (got that right Darrin) while a white would be stiff like a Mako. A white would leave the impression of massiveness, while a blue would leave the of grace. The pointed fin is the halmark of a White. Pointed and very triangular almost like thier teeth if you can get that picture in your mind. A Mako has a slightly swept dorsal and a tiger has even more sweep.....swept back on the leading edge that is, while the leading edge of a white is very much straight up sorta. Descriptions are tough to identify a fish by. Pics are sometimes tough but words and memory are real tough. Add that to the fact that you are describing characteristics of several fish that are in the area right now and you have us all scratching our collective heads.

Next time, break yourself out of the trance and grab that camera:p :rolleyes: :D
I am leaning toward the slithering Blue. I always thought Tigers, Mako's and Whites were/looked rounder. I also thought Blues were a deeper water fish - I was only in about 65 feet of water. I think I am also under estimating the length of the fish but I am trying not to exaggerate things.

If there was a next time I still do not think I could have gotten the camera, It was an incredible sight from someone who does not take long rides to the edge and sees these things all the time. Maybe if it happened a third time my mind would register - "Yo bozo, get the camera"

1 - 20 of 23 Posts