BASS BARN banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been redisovering my love for the sweet water since the wife is due in a few days and I have been staying close to home. I stopped by the wissy today to trout fish for a hour. I had 12 or so small fish on worms, I could see several large fish staring upstream, that would not even look at my bait. I threw all I had at them, worms, spinners, plugs, all of it. Not even a look. What am I doing wrong. BTW they may have been suckers. So who knows...
Any ideas :D

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
I think you're right. They probably were suckers. With trout, look for a dark, well-defined tail. Sometimes, that's all you'll see of them. Also, if you see a flash on the bottom, they are probably digging up some insect larvae. Any bugs around? I've seen plenty of beetles, but I don't think I have seen any grasshoppers this year.

They might just be saving their energy. The big ones come out at night. You're a wildman, fishing in today's heat. Good luck with that new fishin' buddy.:)

·
Registered
6,290 Posts
I agree probably suckers. There are some big fish in the Wissy but they are few and far between. 99% of stocked fish in that stream are 8-13 inches. Most of the large are not released back. Still for August 1 you had an awesome day!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
most likely most of the trout that were stocked are gone now. went to the neshaminy creek a few weeks ago and caught a small brown and a small rainbow on a small spinner. i was surpirsed to catch 2. but i had to fight through probably 30 sunnies before i got the trout. they are probably gone now. weather is too hot.

·
Registered
1 Posts
yeah maybe suckers. Usually trout would not just look at the bait. in my experience they always bite.

·
Registered
27,561 Posts
probably suckers... water is too warm in the wissy right now for most trout to survive... also don't forget about Mercks fish kill a few weeks back.
If you want some spots let me know :)

·
Registered
102 Posts
I disagree. If they weren't grubbing on the bottom, odds are they were trout, but with the water in the creek probably in the mid to upper 70's they're more interested in staying alive than eating. If they were gathered in one spot, it may be a place where a spring comes into the creek. I haven't been there in a couple of weeks, but two weeks ago there were plenty of trout still in the creek. You got to remember they've been in the creek for a few months now. What worked in April won't work now. The main insects in the creek are midges, and they're usually a size 22 or smaller. Live lining minnows might work if you can get them past the smallmouth. Small minnow lures, like a Yozuri Pin Minnow,1 1/2-3 inches long, might work.

·
Registered
39,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
972 Posts
if you can find a feeder creek into the wiss the trout will be stacked up at the mouth and in the creek. Saw this yesterday, probably 40 or 50 trout just sitting at the mouth of a creek. All other trout I saw in the creek away from any feeder creeks were dead and on the bottom. You probably saw suckers, maybe even carp, but most likely suckers.

·
Banned
231 Posts
I trout fish year round, although im not familiar with the waters you speak of, Trout know how to survive..If you really want them to bite..don't go when the sun is up..try to fish before sunrise and just after sunset..Summer sun + Summer Heat= Lockjaw..also you may want to use Minnows (Fatheads-Salted Minnows) or turn over some rocks and find some Helgrimites..Hope this helps

1 - 13 of 13 Posts