BASS BARN banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I 'd like to share info on one of the best wild brown trout streams I've ever fished. The Clarion river in NW Pa. The average size of the fish are the largest I've encountered on a stream in 40 years of chasing wild browns all over the country. Excluding great lakes tributaries it's as special as it gets for big trout. I caught more 20 inch plus browns in 6 days fishing here than I have in my life! I saw 1 other angler, that's it. I live in the AC area so this is long drive to get there. I fished last 2 weeks in Nov and 1st week of Dec. This is no place for ultra light tackle. I fished with 3 to 6 inch suspending jerk baits and big spinners. 1/4 oz rooster tails, Mepps 3's and Vibrax 1/4 oz. Pointer minnows, Husky Jerks, X Raps, Strike King KVD's and 8 lb Stren Magnathin line. Best trout I landed was a 24" 5 lb giant. My personal best and I spend alot of time chasing wild trout. I'll even go as far as saying the size is comparable to the White River in Ark. I straightened hooks out on a 3 1/2 " X Rap! That fish was pushing 30 inches! Yeah, I know, another fish story. It's a difficult stream to fish. Your gonna walk, your gonna bust brush. Very few streamside trails. Bring ratcheting garden pruners or a folding saw. Bring a wading staff and take your time. The stream is fairly safe wading, it's not dangerously slippery but it's big. Fish cloudy rainy snowy days. Bright sun makes it tough. You'll average 6 to 10 bites a day and at least that many follows. And you will marvel at the size of these trout. Happy Holidays to all. If your as nuts about wild trout as I am you have to fish this stream. From Johnsonburg To Ridgeway is where I fished. Go take the ride and catch giants, you wont be disappointed.

· Registered
2 Posts
I’ve fished the clarion. Have also fished the small streams near Tom’s run and macbeths. It’s definitely beautiful country. We usually do a couple days down there for trout then head to erie for small mouths and spring steelheads. 20 years ago you used to be able to set up a tent right next to the clarion, but now no more. I also live in the AC area. The trees and the forests are nothing like here. And to see how those forests are affected by the wildlife is cool. Wild turkeys, bears, beaver damns. It’s so awesome.

· Registered
3,601 Posts
Johnny that sounds so cool. Thank you for sharing. I too am in AC area. Absecon. I'd love to head out there and try that. When's best to go? Thoughts? Sounds very neat and something for the list, but that's doable. I'd love to contact you on the side and ask you more? If you have an email or number I could call?

· Registered
84,237 Posts
Very nice read. Thanks for sharing

1 - 5 of 5 Posts