BASS BARN banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This winter has me thinking. What is the biggest threat to this sport that I love so much in the next 5 to ten years?

Is it the environmentalists shutting us out with protected areas and strict regulations that make taking fish from the ocean a crime?

Is it declining fish stocks which make taking fish out of the ocean so rare as to make it not worth owning an offshore boat?

Is it fuel prices? What would prevent fuel from going up to 4 or 5 dollars a gallon again or higher? Would that shut you down if running offshore with your buds for a daytroll cost $1000 bucks in your 25 footer?

Any other big threats?

One of my biggest fears is that offshore fishing is in danger of becoming a thing of the past. For mine and my kids sake I hope not...

· Registered
171 Posts
The fish stocks are probably the least likely problem we face in the not so distant future. Fuel prices will be back in the 3-4 dollar range for diesel, probably this season. The enviros have only just begun thier onslaught of the world's public natural freedoms. I sadly do feel that the kids that are only 1-3 years old now may not have the access to some types of fishing and hunting that one has now. Seems as if most things in life that kinda took care of themselves are now either ruined by gluttoney or exploited for money.
Those of us that are old enough, think about this, when there were no limits 25+ years ago, the majority of people caught what they needed for that time and went home. Sure there was groups that would catch alot of blues or macks or porgies, but they weren't wasted. Once a limit or number is put on something, it's human nature to reach that number regardless anything else. Keep in mind I am generalizing here, nowadays there are alot of folks that only keep what they need for the near future, but there are also alot more anglers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.