BASS BARN banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 16ft skiff that eats bilge pumps. Last season it burnt out two. In the six years I owned the boat I have replaced 6 pumps. The pump is Fused on the float switch side and has a circuit breaker on the manual side, Both work. I have been useing Rule pumps Is that a problem? Think rewireing would help? I want to install a pump that last longer then a a few months. Fortunatly the boat is self-bailing

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
I use an automatic rule pump and it lasts for years. It turns itself on every few minutes and if there isn't a load on it it shuts off. You might have a wiring problem with it being too small maybe but I've not heard of the problem you're having.

·
Registered
6,798 Posts
Another reason can be the float mounting position in relation to the pump. If the float is mounted too low the pump will run and fight to get the water level down before the float drops low enough to shut the pump off. Can add hours and hours to the running time on the pump..

Rules are probably the best out there, but of course we can all get a bad one or two. But to cook 6 in 6 years, something is not right somewhere.

I had a new 1100gph Rule Mate get caught in frozen bilge water in the flats boat when we had that 2 foot snow fall last month. Already bought a new one to install. The new Rule mates are completely different than the old ones.. The Rule mates with the mechanical floats built into them have the best rating's of all bilge pumps on the market. Funny the freeze didn't bother the 750gph Rule Mate back up pump??

But then again I've seen Atwood's and Mayfair's live for 10yrs+.. As I've stated before I don't trust anyone's(make) bilge pump farther than I can throw them. All boats that sit in the water (unattended)should have backup pumps in them.

Talking about pumps 2000gph and under should be wired with nothing less than 14 ga wire. And even that may not be heavy enough depending on how far the run is from the battery or breaker panel it's connected too. Then of course all connections and in-line fuses should sealed water tight and be tied up out of bilge water.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.