BASS BARN banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from Bimini and I have to say it was one of the best vacations I've been on. Weather wasn't the warmest, but the fishing and relaxation was awesome. I hooked up with a legend named Ansil Saunders who holds 4 of the seven current bonefish records (I'm told) and he took me out in a flats boat that he constructed and sells himself. The boats are absolutely beautiful and Ansil was a remarkable gentleman. My wife and I hooked up with 13 nice bones, several in the 4-5 lb. range. I hope these pics turn out, I always have trouble posting.....13

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Glad you had a great time and caught nice boneheads too!!
As they say...Been there, done that.
Bimini is a magic place. Trolling the wall at sunrise.....Fishing patch reefs around Cat Cay and Gun Cay.....Oh the memories!
Close to FLA but seems like a different world.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Frank, you got that right. This was my second trip to Bimini, the last time was 15 years ago and nothing has changed. Still beautiful and laid back! I hung out in the Compleat Angler every day...13

·
Registered
15,362 Posts
F&%$ y**,

I'm stuck here in the ice...and your catching bonesfish, and the other idiot is in Costa Rica catching Sailfish and Wahoo....I hate the winter!!!!!! :(

·
Registered
303 Posts
Awesome-- great way to spend some of the dreaded winter. Fished there about 7 years ago and am dreaming about heading back in the near future. Fishing for bones, eating fresh conch salad and just laying back relaxing sure beats shoveling this white stuff.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
SKIP, I was impressed myself with the Jeneral's fishing abilities. I don't need another person outfishing me on the Stalker :D Before you know it we'll be in NC ;)

Capbar, I had a few conch salads myself...great stuff. Let me know if you head down, I'll give you Ansil's #...He's the absolute best.....13

·
Registered
15,362 Posts
Originally posted by striper13:
SKIP, I was impressed myself with the Jeneral's fishing abilities. I don't need another person outfishing me on the Stalker :D Before you know it we'll be in NC ;)
God knows that I'm ready! :D

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Striper13 - those are some nice bones. And getting hooked up with Ansil is like playing golf with Tiger Woods. I hear some guys have even bough his hand-made wooden flats boats just to put on display on their living rooms! Truly works of art from the Old Skool.

Did you fly over or go by boat?

For a change of pace from the Miami crowd that goes to Bimini nowadays you might want to try West End next time you fish the Bahamas. And if you're into serious bonefishing, try the Mangrove Cay Club in Andros. Liz Bain can hook you up.

Here's Joe Sullivan and me in Bimini, April '03.

All the photos from inside the Angler and End Of The World came out blurry because we were too wasted to hold the camera still. :D

Catch

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Catch-all, Your pic looks very familiar, gonna try to post one of Ansil's works in progress, We flew in on Chalks Sea Plane..An adventure in itself.....13

[ 01-30-2005, 03:15 PM: Message edited by: striper13 ]

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
Great Shots! Your woman looked like she had a blast as well. Thats what its all about!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts