BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In tying a bimini twist in 100# mono topshot: when it gets to the step when the tag line begins to wrap back over the twist, all is well until about half way down and then it kind of "loses momentum" and then seems to get more spread out. I tried pulling to split the loop with a little more force, more (and less) tension on the lines, etc. I have testing the knot and it seems to still hold its strength, but I have never had this problem before and it happened twice. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
534 Posts
20-25 wraps should be more than enough for 100lb mono and more twists won't have an impact on your ability to get the line to tightly wrap down around the original twists on the way down, which is what I think you're having the problem with. What you need to do is steadily increase the outward pressure on the two legs of the loop as you start to let the line wind down upon itself by pushing your legs outward. This will enable you to maintain a tigh wrap all the way down the knot.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Bimini heavy mono

Hard monos can be difficult to lay wraps , use softer & like suggested more twists . I also soak mono prior or spray with lubricant that will not degrade mono.

Tougher to master but makes life easier when forming heavy double line a.
a knot called the Aussie plait!
Once mastered one person can tie any size loop with most type monos w/o
Issues!

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hard monos can be difficult to lay wraps , use softer & like suggested more twists . I also soak mono prior or spray with lubricant that will not degrade mono.

Tougher to master but makes life easier when forming heavy double line a.
a knot called the Aussie plait!
Once mastered one person can tie any size loop with most type monos w/o
Issues!
Neat knot and a new one to me. Thanks

·
Registered
91 Posts
What type of line are you connecting the top shot to? If hollow core braid or dacron, consider running the mono in the core and serving the ends as if you were making a wind-on leader. This is a knotless connection to provide a very smooth transion between the connections. If this is too time consuming or you are not familiar with this, I would suggest you tie an Australian braid knott. This knott is much more flexible. It does not have a big finish knot so it will run through the guides much easier than a bimini. Lastly, braid knott acts like a shock cord and will not heat up as much and cause as much friction which often is the cause for knott failure. If you need help with this, refer to the videos on Tournament Cable's website and let Chuck show you how it's done.

·
Registered
10,023 Posts
I read that the key to strength in a bimini is how tightly you spool back over the twist. So what you are trying to master is vital. I have found the harder you pull apart the two lines the tighter you can wrap, like mentioned here. Those coils need to be tight and flush against each other.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Capt. Lou

Aussie Plait! That's all I use. Spider hitch with braid.

·
Registered
20,268 Posts
Do you find the spider hitch to hold up and be as strong as the Bimini?
I suck at biminis and a spider hitch is just so easy to tie... but if you read up, they will telll you that the bimini is the way to go.

Read up on the Aussie Plait... going to give it a try this week when my wintertime garage rigging kicks in to full gear. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I don't think it is as strong but as for as holding I've never had a problem, an I've used it a hellva lot!! If your talking connections it's the way to go in my opinion.

·
Registered
591 Posts
For anyone wanting to learn the Aussie Plait/Braid knot, you can go to our web site or just stop in anytime. It is by far a much better knot than the bimini and very easy to do once you get the hang of it and the rythem.

I have never had one fail in over 20 years in any size line, mono or braid.

·
Registered
9,166 Posts
Once we get up over 80 lb, and depending on how long we make our double.....the bimini becomes a 2 man knot, while I can do it solo....its just much easier to get the second half of the wraps tight with an extra set of hands putting the pressure on the double line side of the knot, an extra set of fingers for that first half hitch isnt a bad thing either....especially with heavy line, I can tie a perfect bimini in 80 lb almost with my eyes closed.....bimini's are tied at the dock...spider hitch's on the water......honestly we have never had a bimini fail in the 20+ years I have been tying them.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.