BASS BARN banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stopped by Birch Grove Park today to eat lunch and on the front pond two guys were fishing from the covered bridge. They were fishing out the window of the bridge. .... I contemplated whether or not to approach them and tell them that you are not allowed to fish until April 5th, but thought they would have known because of all of the no fishing signs posted. I did not have the fish and game numbers and no one from the park was around working. I called the Northfield Police and let them know. They said they would send someone out. I stayed for about 10 more minutes and left. I don't know the outcome. My wife claims I am a tattletale, did I do the right thing?

Joe R.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,587 Posts
I probably would have just pointed the signs out to the guys, but if you're not comfortable with doing that than I'd say it was fine the way you handled it. No fishing means no fishing
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,093 Posts
When I was at Willow Grove yesterday, a couple kids.. maybe a little younger than me..15..16..17 went on the other side of the dam ( Maurice River ) & i went over & told them they couldn't fish there because the river's been stocked.. Gotta royal "F U, who cares?" from them. :rolleyes:

You did the right thing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,048 Posts
Joe, You did the right thing. I've put alot of time and effort into the opening day kids tournament. There are hundreds of other places they can fish, or just wait till opening day. I'm off for the next 12 days, and will be over there watching. If I catch them, you can be sure a ticket will be issued.
Thanx , from me, and the tons of kids who will be there on opening day.
George
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,772 Posts
eelball said:
Joe, You did the right thing. I've put alot of time and effort into the opening day kids tournament. There are hundreds of other places they can fish, or just wait till opening day. I'm off for the next 12 days, and will be over there watching. If I catch them, you can be sure a ticket will be issued.
Thanx , from me, and the tons of kids who will be there on opening day.
George
WTG mate!
I like to show them that I'm calling NJF&G GAME THIEF HOTLINE right in front of them on my cell! I have the number always programmed in my phone just for times like these.;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,224 Posts
Joe, The marine law enforcement office number is 748-2050 They enforce saltwater regs but they could have radioed an inland CO. Good Going, poachers depend on others to keep their mouths shut. If everyone called ever time they see something poaching would end.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,587 Posts
The Fish and Wildlife site says to call the regional offices for reporting such things. Here's the numbers, might as well load 'em up in your cellphones.

Northern Region Office (within Clinton WMA)
Law Enforcement - 908-735-8240 (Bergen, Essex, Hudson, Hunterdon, Morris, Passaic, Somerset, Sussex, Union, Warren)

Central Region Office (Assunpink WMA)
Law Enforcement - 609-259-2120 (Burlington, Mercer, Middlesex, Monmouth, Ocean)

Southern Region Office (Winslow WMA)
Law Enforcement - 856-629-0555 (Atlantic, Camden, Cape May, Cumberland, Gloucester, Salem)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
108 Posts
When I was at Willow Grove yesterday, a couple kids.. maybe a little younger than me..15..16..17 went on the other side of the dam ( Maurice River )
What section of the river is closed? How can you close a whole river, I can see where it applies in lake but the river???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
232 Posts
The Maurice is stocked from the Willow Lake Dam down to Sherman Ave. That basically closes the river from Union Lake to Willow Grove. You might think that Union Lake would be off limits, but I haven't seen anything stating that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,585 Posts
Nobody patrolls BGP. That's why they can get away with it. The CO stops out there once on opening day, and that's it. The ranger doesn't care (at least the current ranger doesn't). The sad part is that the tournament is held there, so it actually hurts the kids fishing that tournament when you pre-fish the front pond. Stupid people.

I miss living less than a block away from that park... :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,093 Posts
MillvilleFlyer said:
The Maurice is stocked from the Willow Lake Dam down to Sherman Ave. That basically closes the river from Union Lake to Willow Grove. You might think that Union Lake would be off limits, but I haven't seen anything stating that.
I'm not sure that they stock fish at the Willow Grove Dam, I think they start at Garden Road. But regardless, the fact it's still part of the river, it's off limits.. Some trout do go upstream there, unless they are released there.. I have seen trout in that pool.. Correct me if I'm wrong whether they release fish there or not.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,048 Posts
Fly Ty R said:
Nobody patrolls BGP. That's why they can get away with it. The CO stops out there once on opening day, and that's it. The ranger doesn't care (at least the current ranger doesn't). The sad part is that the tournament is held there, so it actually hurts the kids fishing that tournament when you pre-fish the front pond. Stupid people.

I miss living less than a block away from that park... :eek:
BGP won't get any fishing in it till opening day. Not on my watch;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,048 Posts
vfr800 said:
i'm sure everyone who has something to say about them never did anything wrong themselves right?
Justify it to yourself anyway you want. When I was younger I did it. Wish now I hadn't.
I pay close to $35 for a license and stamp. If i can't, you can't. End of story.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
168 Posts
eelball said:
Justify it to yourself anyway you want. When I was younger I did it. Wish now I hadn't.
I pay close to $35 for a license and stamp. If i can't, you can't. End of story.
since you put it that way, now i'm heading down there to fish stop by i'll give you a few fish since you paid for a license and stamp
 
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top