BASS BARN banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know a good website/resource where I can take a quick peek and identify some of the birds that I run into while fishing? Its sad but I can only ID laughing gulls, terns and osprey as definites.

Thanks fellas,
RyanF

·
Registered
408 Posts
As far as a resource you can no go wrong with Peterson?s Field Guide to Eastern Birds.

Here is a website that is OK for trying to ID but it is best to ID them when you see them not several hours later unless you take notes on what you saw.

USGS bird ID

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
I second the recommendation of the Peterson Field Guide. They are the best one for a beginner (like me) to use.

The USGS site is a decent one, but the Cornell ornithology site ( http://www.birds.cornell.edu/ ) is way better. The only downside is that's it's a subscriber site -- i.e. it ain't free.

I'd say check out the free info first, and then start shelling out dough if you're still interested. And since you're in Avalon, the other thing I would recommend is a trip or two down to the NJ Audubon Society in Cape May. They have walks and guided tours (and other stuff), and you can learn more in one guided tour than you will learn in six months on your own.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. Ill look into the Peterson Field Guide.

Bass Media, I spent a little bit of time going through that thread last night. Thanks for the heads up.

RyanF

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A

who do they pick?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts